free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Does "Spider Fingers" still have the Crimson touch

Does "Spider Fingers" still have the Crimson touch

This is where you get your chance to make your feelings known in our ProjeKction Polls. Feel free to create a Poll on any subject you choose.

Does "Spider Fingers" still have the Crimson touch?

Yes, no doubt
52%
No, he's seen his better days
13%
Not sure, I'll wait and see
17%
I'll always be a believer, as long as KC continues
17%
Very doubtful, but I remain positive
No votes

Total votes : 23

Postby vrooom on Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:12 pm

Like duh, everyone know's that RF's greatest accomplishment is the "Exposure" album. It's got everything - the angular instrumentals, the weepy ballads, Frippertronics and more guest stars than you can wave a stick at. In fact, if you just buy that album, you don't actually NEED any other KC or RF record. It's all there for you in one tasty package. It's been downhill all the way after that album, really... :D

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Indyrod on Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:33 pm

Of course "Exposure" is a great album, but to me, it's Fripp's version of a POP album. I don't expecially want to hear POP music from KC, and I play almost any KC album more than I do "Exposure". What I want is that Fripp brand of shredding, that's what I like best from him and KC, and I find it hard to believe that Crimheads like a soundscape album like "Evening Star" more than KC material. Oh yea Scorchie, it's such a great accomplishment, that people slowly leave the venue or go take a piss whenever he plays it. This is all subjective I know, but I don't believe the eye in the sky objective consensus view of Fripp's career is going to rate the soundscape stuff anywhere close to his contribution to King Crimson.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby vrooom on Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:21 pm

Evening Star rawks...

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby MarkSullivan on Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:59 pm

Indyrod wrote:Of course "Exposure" is a great album, but to me, it's Fripp's version of a POP album. I don't expecially want to hear POP music from KC, and I play almost any KC album more than I do "Exposure". What I want is that Fripp brand of shredding, that's what I like best from him and KC, and I find it hard to believe that Crimheads like a soundscape album like "Evening Star" more than KC material. Oh yea Scorchie, it's such a great accomplishment, that people slowly leave the venue or go take a piss whenever he plays it. This is all subjective I know, but I don't believe the eye in the sky objective consensus view of Fripp's career is going to rate the soundscape stuff anywhere close to his contribution to King Crimson.

You're right about Exposure, but the key phrase there is "Fripp's version." Anybody else trying to make a pop album would be far less eclectic, not to mention just plain weird. What makes it so cool is that it includes bits of everything Fripp does best, in nice little song-length chunks. But comparing it to KC is apples to oranges, though it does include some material that could have been KC.

The soundscape stuff is even less comparable; it doesn't belong in the rock or pop world at all, at least not the way it exists now. From a rock perspective, KC is certainly more important. And Fripp's work on Bowie's "Heroes" has probably reached more listeners than his entire KC output. So it's more popular--so what? I certainly listen to more soundscapes than certain KC records (Lizard or Wake of Poseidon, for example). And that includes Evening Star, although I'm fonder of No Pussyfooting.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby scorched earth on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:03 pm

Indyrod wrote:... I find it hard to believe that Crimheads like a soundscape album like "Evening Star" more than KC material. Oh yea Scorchie, it's such a great accomplishment, that people slowly leave the venue or go take a piss whenever he plays it. This is all subjective I know, but I don't believe the eye in the sky objective consensus view of Fripp's career is going to rate the soundscape stuff anywhere close to his contribution to King Crimson.

Fripp, Sept. 26, 07 wrote:16.04 Evening Star underway. This is stunning; the main theme is one of the most gorgeous guitar statements I have ever heard, played through a little Fender Champ. . It is what, today, I recognise as a being melody. It was almost never possible for me to play like this within Crimson; the theme from Starless a rare exception.

Fripp, Sept. 27, 07 wrote:13.09 Re-visiting Evening Star & its soaring guitar statement. I remember this young man, the intensity & yearning of the music clearly belonging to his life at the time.

I wasn't comparing Soundscapes vs. KC stuff. I was comparing Fripp's playing on one song, LTIAIV, with his playing on another, Evening Star. I realized that maybe I should specify I was talking about the song (hardly a "Soundscape") not the album as a whole, but figured people would understand when I referred to the "beauty" of Evening Star. Perhaps it would have been better to refer to something like the the recycled Sylvian-Fripp solo used at the end of TPTBII (whichever one Virtuous Circle became) or say the solo in Night Watch. I left it that way in part because of the question raised subtextually in this context, can an older man play something with a similar quality of "intensity & yearning?"

Indy I realize it's difficult for you to take your ego out of it and refer to something you don't like in a neutral manner, without putting it down, but just for the record the last time I saw Soundscapes no one left and in fact they screamed out for an encore so persistently Fripp was forced to play one more even though he normally doesn't do encores. You are presumably referring to when he performs as an opening act. I would think you have enough experience attending concerts to know that opening acts rarely have a particularly attentive audience among fans of the band they are opening for, and that this might be especially likely when something so not rock is played.
scorched earth
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Yorkshire Square on Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:11 am

I am in absolutely no doubt that Bobby can play as well as ever. His technical ability is awesome. Whether he has anything new and valid to say through the instrument that is King Crimson is another matter.

I'm not going to get to see them in the flesh in '09(?) but if it is to be purely old material, I wouldn't want to. I'd rather get to see two or three more Soundscape/Churchscape shows. This seems to be where his true heart is now; in more reflective solo music.

Of more immediate interest is the likelyhood of Steve Hackett touring; has anyone heard of any dates to support his new album?
I tell you it's no fun
Being on Proje-e-ekshun
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby Owen on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:18 pm

scorched earth wrote:Well my first reaction was "another dumb poll" and I was going to say that but didn't because yes I believe even a dumb question can potentially lead to a discussion of some value, even if it's just showing the place isn't dead.

And especially if the topic is the merits of poultry over felines.
The Point Moot one minute bass solos project is at http://pointmootsolo.bandcamp.com/
Moot-tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pointmoot
The perfect holiday destination: http://point-moot.blogspot.com
Musicommentary: http://mootmobile.blogspot.com
Owen
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Owen on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:23 pm

Can I just point out something?

Seizure isn't new material (and surely a Crim with Mastelotto & Harrison playing off against T-Lev was born to play Seizure). Neither is the stuff that was prepared, but not made public by the Fripp/Belew/Mastelotto/Levin group a few years back.

I may be being overly optimistic though.
The Point Moot one minute bass solos project is at http://pointmootsolo.bandcamp.com/
Moot-tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pointmoot
The perfect holiday destination: http://point-moot.blogspot.com
Musicommentary: http://mootmobile.blogspot.com
Owen
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:16 pm

scorched earth wrote:even if it's just showing the place isn't dead.

I think you'll find this place is quite dead...it just won't lie still, godammit!

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Riverman on Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:41 pm

Maybe it just smells funny.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

PreviousNext

Return to Polls