free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Does "Spider Fingers" still have the Crimson touch

Does "Spider Fingers" still have the Crimson touch

This is where you get your chance to make your feelings known in our ProjeKction Polls. Feel free to create a Poll on any subject you choose.

Does "Spider Fingers" still have the Crimson touch?

Yes, no doubt
52%
No, he's seen his better days
13%
Not sure, I'll wait and see
17%
I'll always be a believer, as long as KC continues
17%
Very doubtful, but I remain positive
No votes

Total votes : 23

Does "Spider Fingers" still have the Crimson touch

Postby Indyrod on Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:00 pm

Just to see what you all think, about if Fripp can still lay down the licks we are accustomed to from all the albums, especially the heavy duty licks in the past couple of albums? He seems to have given up on "Frakctured", a very difficult piece to play for any guitarist, but can he deliver still on songs like "Larks 4", "Level 5" and all the rest of the heavy material we expect with King Crimson? I have my doubts, so what do you think?
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Indyrod on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:00 pm

My vote went to "Not sure, I'll wait and see". I certainly hope so, but since all I've heard from him are soundscapes or churchscapes, or whatever you want to call them, it does put some doubt in my mind. And I know he has appeared on other artists releases, and those did sound good, KC is a different animal with different expectations.

Indyrod

Postby Dog_none on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:51 am

I've always been and always will be a believer. If Fripp wants to lay down soundscapes and leave the heavy lifting the Belew (who still undoubtedly has the touch) that's fine with me.

That said, I have a feeling we'll be getting more than our share of intense Frippery over the next year or two.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby Gilesfan on Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:34 am

Yes, no doubt.

He can do it probably as great as ever. The man practices nearly daily from what I have read and is always looking to improve.

I have no doubt that he could play any of the King Crimson repertoire as great or better than ever.

Now, getting him to actually play it is another matter! :roll:
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby MarkSullivan on Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:17 pm

I'm with Gilesfan: I don't think Fripp has lost a step. I think "FraKctured" is a special case. There were just so many ways the performance could go wrong (both for Fripp and the rest of the band) that all the joy was getting sucked out of it.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:10 pm

I'm curious Mark, why you think that about "FraKctured"? Is it really that much more difficult than all the rest of the KC catalog? I suppose it's more difficult than "Fracture", but still, I disagree with Dog, saying Belew can handle all the heavy lifting. This is Fripp's band, and the heavy lifting has always came from those magic fingers of Fripp IMO. If he's just going to sit at the corner of the stage, and play soundscapes while Belew plays the hell out of his guitar, then I'm not sure that's what Crimheads want to see or hear.

Indyrod

Postby vrooom on Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:05 pm

The thing about Belew is that he can do a great Fripp impression on the guitar. And for us connoisseurs, you can tell when Fripp is taking a backseat and Belew is playing his parts. Throughout the 80s, 90s and 00s, there have been times when they've switched around and Belew's played some of the Fripp stuff, while RF plays backing. The whole reason that Belew is still in the band is because he provides the ideal safety net to RF's playing - the same way that TG was a shoe-in during the double trio/duo times. RF likes to be surrounded by musicians who can cover his ass if he hits a brown moment. This isn't a sleight on anyone, this is just human nature. I think RF's age is a big consideration in what he chooses to play and not play. I'm not saying he's mellowed as a player, but his drawing towards soundscapes away from "searing electric guitar" is quite telling. RF now wants to bring some soul to the proceedings instead of waggling his willy in your face. So be it.

When KC 2008 plays expect lots of soundscapes and clattering percussion over the top. I just don't know what TL is going to do. Make some coffee perhaps...

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby scorched earth on Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:22 pm

Wacky Indyrod logic:

1. Fripp's playing Soundscapes.

2. Therefore I doubt he can play KC material anymore.

Something that makes a little more sense:

1. Fripp (Dec. 12): "The original four players, plus their lyricist? If I felt we could play the material as well as in 1969, I would already have made the call."

2. Fripp has reactivated King Crimson with Belew, Mastelotto, Levin, Harrison.

3. So Fripp is probably reasonably confident these players are capable of playing KC repertoire at least close to as well as previous incarnations.

4. Who am I to doubt Fripp's judgement?
scorched earth
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:09 pm

scorched earth wrote:4. Who am I to doubt Fripp's judgement?

:lol:

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby vrooom on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:12 pm

scorched earth wrote:3. So Fripp is probably reasonably confident these players are capable of playing KC repertoire at least close to as well as previous incarnations.

This is wacky Scorchie logic, surely? I think that RF only assembles a band that can play the current/future repertoire. You are inferring that subsequent versions of KC are equal to the previous. This makes no sense at all.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Next

Return to Polls