free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Does "Spider Fingers" still have the Crimson touch

Does "Spider Fingers" still have the Crimson touch

This is where you get your chance to make your feelings known in our ProjeKction Polls. Feel free to create a Poll on any subject you choose.

Does "Spider Fingers" still have the Crimson touch?

Yes, no doubt
52%
No, he's seen his better days
13%
Not sure, I'll wait and see
17%
I'll always be a believer, as long as KC continues
17%
Very doubtful, but I remain positive
No votes

Total votes : 23

Postby scorched earth on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:34 pm

Indy's question: "...can he deliver still on songs like "Larks 4", "Level 5" and all the rest of the heavy material we expect with King Crimson?

Further discussion - Gilesfan: "I have no doubt that he could play any of the King Crimson repertoire as great or better than ever. "

Fripp (Dec. 9): "Listening to a possible KC set to suggest to the Team."

Fripp (Jan. 4): "Listening through to tracks of possible repertoire material for our upcoming rehearsals. "

Besides the point fantasy from bloke without a clue: "When KC 2008 plays expect lots of soundscapes and clattering percussion over the top. I just don't know what TL is going to do. Make some coffee perhaps..."
scorched earth
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby MarkSullivan on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:56 pm

Indyrod wrote:I'm curious Mark, why you think that about "FraKctured"? Is it really that much more difficult than all the rest of the KC catalog? I suppose it's more difficult than "Fracture", but still, I disagree with Dog, saying Belew can handle all the heavy lifting. This is Fripp's band, and the heavy lifting has always came from those magic fingers of Fripp IMO. If he's just going to sit at the corner of the stage, and play soundscapes while Belew plays the hell out of his guitar, then I'm not sure that's what Crimheads want to see or hear.

I have played through some transcriptions of both tunes, but I'm mainly relying on general impressions, and what has appeared in the band diaries. "Fracture" is far less demanding for the rest of the band than it is for Fripp: he gave himself a real technical exercise to play, at least in the opening section. But "FraKctured" has difficult interlocking parts for all the strings, and it's much more relentless. Once it gets going, there's not much room for mistakes, or the whole thing can fall apart. I agree that it doesn't seem like Crimson if Fripp isn't burning at least part of the time.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Dog_none on Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:20 am

MarkSullivan wrote:I agree that it doesn't seem like Crimson if Fripp isn't burning at least part of the time.

I agree. But why is there any doubt?

I saw Fripp play with his Band of Merry Guitarists this past November and even some of his soundscapes looked and sounded as technically demanding as some of his Crimson parts. No runs like LTIA IV or Fractured, but it isn't like his soundscapes are made by sitting back and lazily strumming a few notes.

No, I'm not a guitarist so no I don't really know what I'm talking about.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby vrooom on Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:34 am

Scorchie, why bother coming here? If you have so much utter disdain for our fannish speculation, I can't understand why you come back for more. Are you a masochist or beyond dumb? Oh well, at least you are safe in the knowledge that you are the perfect KC/RF fan - mindless, accepting, following, unquestioning. Quick, sign yourself up for a Guitar Craft course immediately. RF demands your cash and attention immediately, oh bleating sheep! :D

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby scorched earth on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:40 am

I like to think I'm here to cover your ass when you spew crap about RF/KC or at least that's about as plausible as "The whole reason that Belew is still in the band is because he provides the ideal safety net to RF's playing." There's not a single line of that post that isn't BS. That's plently reason enough that someone should call you on it.
scorched earth
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:19 pm

scorched earth wrote:Wacky Indyrod logic:

One of the responsibilities of an Admin, is to help create discussion. I wasn't saying playing soundscapes means he can't play anything else, because I know that's not true, because of his guest appearances on other albums, as I said have been great. But KC being the beast it is, is unlike most any other band, so I merely wanted to get some opinions on the subject matter. If that's wacky, then so be it. You've certainly called me a lot worse, so I'll take that as a compliment from your under achieving self. :P
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby vrooom on Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:10 pm

Ahhh, but Scorchie doesn't want to promote discussion. He just wants to kiss Dorset butt... <smooooch>

Shame on him.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Dog_none on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:24 am

Some questions are worthy of discussion, even if the answer is obvious.
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby scorched earth on Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:43 am

Well my first reaction was "another dumb poll" and I was going to say that but didn't because yes I believe even a dumb question can potentially lead to a discussion of some value, even if it's just showing the place isn't dead.

What seemed wacky to me is the suggestion that Fripp playing Soundscapes might be taken as some kind of indication that he may have lost some technical ability, as suggested by both Indyrod and Darren. So goofy I really don't think I need to explain why.

I also think it's unfortunate the way this seems to give special importance to one aspect of Fripp's playing, the more technically challenging, thrill producing, hey I can't do that, speedy runs like that part in LTIAIV. Yes I'm thrilled too, but personally I consider playing something with the beauty of Evening Star to be the greater accomplishment.
scorched earth
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Dog_none on Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:28 pm

Well, I actually pretty much agree with all that except I'm not sure what I would consider Fripp's "greatest accomplishment". IMO an album consisting entirely of fast solos & such would be a lot less enganging than the typical Crimson output.
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

PreviousNext

Return to Polls