free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Favorite 5 year period in music

Favorite 5 year period in music

This is where you get your chance to make your feelings known in our ProjeKction Polls. Feel free to create a Poll on any subject you choose.

What 5 year period was your favorite, musically

Poll ended at Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:04 pm

1958 -- 1962 (Doo Wop, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, early Bob Dylan, Beach Boys, '50's groups, etc.)
4%
1963 -- 1967 (Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, early Hendrix, Monterey Pop, etc.)
4%
1968 -- 1972 (KC early years, Led Zep, Jethro Tull, Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, etc.)
33%
1973 -- 1977 (KC power years, early punk, David Bowie, Led Zep, Steely Dan, etc.)
28%
1978 -- 1982 (KC interlocking, early REM, Talking Heads, U2, Van Halen, new wave, Rush, etc.)
23%
1983 -- 1987 (REM, U2, The Smiths, Metal hair bands, Guns & Roses, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc.)
4%
1988 -- 1992 (Grunge years, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc.)
No votes
1993 -- 1997 (KC double trio, Radiohead, Bjork, Smashing Pumpkins, early Porcupine Tree, etc.)
No votes
1998 -- 2002 (Radiohead, ProjeKcts, Emo, etc.)
No votes

Total votes : 21

Favorite 5 year period in music

Postby RYG on Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:04 pm

I've been deciding if the following poll would be worth doing here. Since we're still in the KC doldrum years and since there really isn't too much happening in the general music world I figure, well, why not.

Anyway, this poll is just to see what you feel was the best 5 year consecutive year period in music (well, I guess, mostly rock). When choosing, think about the albums that were released during those years, the trends that were going on in those years and the acts that were at their peak in those years.

A lot of it will depend, of course, on what year you first got into music but even some of the younger posters here may have an appreciation for the stuff that was put out in the late sixties and early seventies even though they may have only started listening to music i the eighties.

Please let us know why you picked the period you did and what your reasoning was (i.e. -- King Crimson was at their best, I saw the greatest Nirvana concert in 1991, etc.).
My favorite movies (right now):
"Lost In Translation", "Mulholland Drive", "Pulp Fiction", "Sin City", "Buffalo '66", "Ghost World", "Apocolypse Now (Redux)", "Donnie Darko", "Raising Arizona", "Shawshank Redemption"
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby vrooom on Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:25 pm

I vote for 71-75, please! :D

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby MiKcrobe on Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:48 pm

I voted for the 1968-1972 period, but only because it's the closest to my ideal period which is the 7-year span of 1968-1974. Most of my favorite stuff got started in 68-70 (Pink Floyd, KC, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Tangerine Dream), and most of these bands, IMO, peaked in 1974 (PF-Wish You Were Here-1974; KC-Red-1974; Yes-Topographic Oceans-1974; Genesis-Lamb Lies Down-1974; etc.)
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

This was the springtime of my loving...

Postby crimcinnaman on Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:42 pm

Had to go with the 78-82 time period.

The Music of this era helped me through my passage into manhood.

That sounds really important doesn't it?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"My Child is an Honor Student
My President is a Moron"
crimcinnaman
ProjeKction Champion

Postby Owen on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:50 pm

Everything after about the 16th century.
The Point Moot one minute bass solos project is at http://pointmootsolo.bandcamp.com/
Moot-tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pointmoot
The perfect holiday destination: http://point-moot.blogspot.com
Musicommentary: http://mootmobile.blogspot.com
Owen
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Fred on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:50 pm

I have chosen for "1983 -- 1987 (REM, U2, The Smiths, Metal hair bands, Guns & Roses, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc.)"

For me it was the period that i got to bars, clubs and concerts and realy got into reading and listen music. Also it was the period that i divided my musical taste from Heavy Metal to New Wave, dressed in black and smoked a lot of dope :wink:

I loved all these 4AD bands and got realy into Sylvian and Japan (the band). Looking back now i dropped a lot of the old New Wave bands.....the sound so out of date :P

But if i could choose more then 1 period i would pick 1993 -- 1997 (KC double trio, Radiohead, Bjork, Smashing Pumpkins, early Porcupine Tree, etc.) also because this period brought me back to the more progresive rock music, jazz fusion, adventures electronic music.

Reading back this i think that everyone has more favorite periods. I loved the music my dad played at home (Beach Boys, Neil Diamond, Beatles, Eagles, T-set, Shadows, Q-65, Status Quo, Rod Stewart, Supersister, Elvis Presley etc etc) so all the periods in this poll got music that i like :?

Fred
Last edited by Fred on Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:27 pm

Don't think I can pick a time period like that, hell the Doo Wop period would be very high, and the early rock 'n' Roll. Each period holds valuable meanings to me in terms of music, so I doubt I can pick just one.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Indyrod on Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:48 pm

Still haven't voted yet, but I'm leaning towards "1958 -- 1962". That was the era that I really went nuts over music as most every kid growing up then did. It set the stage for all the great stuff to follow, and I still love to listen to Doo Wop and the early Rock 'N' Roll. All the other eras have some awesome music, but that early period influenced me in a way that I've never forgotten. I've watched all those Doo Wop specials on PBS and now have the DVDs or videos, and when I first watched those I had tears coming down my cheeks. So any music that can cause such a strong reaction and emotion as that, you almost have to count as the most influential in your life. So, I guess I've talked myself into it, it's "1958 -- 1962". The only change I would make, is I believe that era is more 1955-1963, ending right before the Beatles. There were some great ballads especially by female singers in the mid to late fifties, that were right on the borderline of rock 'n' roll.

Indyrod

Postby vrooom on Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:26 pm

Dat's cuz yoo iz soooooo old, grandpa....

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Indyrod on Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:33 pm

I like the word "experienced" better. There's a lot of advantages for being older and been around at the dawn of rock 'n' roll or really pre-rock 'n' roll, like I was and participated in the dawn of the computer age. When you have seen it all from the start, you tend to have a more well rounded look at the whole thing, which makes me smile a lot when you youngins think you know everything. :lol:

Indyrod

Next

Return to Polls