free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Favorite 5 year period in music

Favorite 5 year period in music

This is where you get your chance to make your feelings known in our ProjeKction Polls. Feel free to create a Poll on any subject you choose.

What 5 year period was your favorite, musically

Poll ended at Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:04 pm

1958 -- 1962 (Doo Wop, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, early Bob Dylan, Beach Boys, '50's groups, etc.)
4%
1963 -- 1967 (Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, early Hendrix, Monterey Pop, etc.)
4%
1968 -- 1972 (KC early years, Led Zep, Jethro Tull, Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, etc.)
33%
1973 -- 1977 (KC power years, early punk, David Bowie, Led Zep, Steely Dan, etc.)
28%
1978 -- 1982 (KC interlocking, early REM, Talking Heads, U2, Van Halen, new wave, Rush, etc.)
23%
1983 -- 1987 (REM, U2, The Smiths, Metal hair bands, Guns & Roses, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc.)
4%
1988 -- 1992 (Grunge years, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc.)
No votes
1993 -- 1997 (KC double trio, Radiohead, Bjork, Smashing Pumpkins, early Porcupine Tree, etc.)
No votes
1998 -- 2002 (Radiohead, ProjeKcts, Emo, etc.)
No votes

Total votes : 21

Postby vrooom on Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:52 pm

It must have been tough for you during the Depression and the Wall Street Crash. Blimey, who'd have thought that the Charlston would have gone out of fashion, eh?

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Indyrod on Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:17 pm

What??? The Charlston went out of fashion????????????????? oh yea, I remember, but we replaced it with the Jitter Bug... 8)
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby diderot on Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:20 pm

I love the music from all periods, but as I have to choose, I picked 1968-1972 as it has most of the bands I love at different stages:
- The Beatles at their peak and end - White Album thru Abbey Road
- The Doors
- KC, Jethro Tull, ELP, Yes, Led Zeppelin early years
- Pink Floyd moving from psychdelic to progressive
and many classics:
- The Who's Tommy
- KC's In the Court
- Yes' Fragile
- Bowie's Ziggy Stardust

There would be great examples from all periods...
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Riverman on Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:43 pm

Why didn't the options for 63-67, 68-72 and 73-77 list Miles Davis too? He was every bit as important as the others through all those slots.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

this poll is unfair & biased

Postby picken on Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:08 am

missing option 2002-2007 (Porcupine Tree, KC semi-final edition, RF soundscapes, F&E return, Celine Dion.... the list continues)

So I had to vote for the Discipline, Talking heads, Blondie, Exposure, Hall & Fripp era instead. For nostalgic reasons, I can still recall the arguments I had with my friends who did not "get it" and up to this date think I am weird & somewhat retarded in my musical preferences.

Also 1969-2009 would have been an acceptable option for the poll: the Royal Crimson Years of Fripp with some silent & solo bits thrown in for good measure & required contrast.
picken
ProjeKction Regular

Re: this poll is unfair & biased

Postby Indyrod on Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:41 am

picken wrote:Also 1969-2009 would have been an acceptable option for the poll: the Royal Crimson Years of Fripp with some silent & solo bits thrown in for good measure & required contrast.

ok, so that does it... anybody got a problem with that????

Indyrod

Favorite period

Postby steven on Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:35 am

I voted for 1963-1967. Being a geetar player (well, used to be before arthritis in the fingers) that period encompasses everything that got me interested in playing music. The tail end of the surf guitar and rockabilly era (yay Link Wray!), weird pop stuff like Jorgen Ingmann and his Echoplex, the start of the British invasion like the Kinks, Stones, Yardbirds, Animals, further out stuff like Jimi Hendrix, Captain Beefheart. I know it's before our dearly beloved KC entered the ring, but it prepared my mind for things to come. Seeing as how I'm the only one who voted for it so far, I guess I'm showing my advanced age :). If I could make my own category, it would be 1964 to 1974, so it would include my fave KC stuff as well.
steven
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Re: Favorite period

Postby Indyrod on Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:38 pm

steven wrote:weird pop stuff like Jorgen Ingmann and his Echoplex,

One of my all time favorite guitar singles is his version of "Apache". I loved that as a kid, and still do today. Each time I've seen the California Guitar Trio, I've tried to get them to play their version, but I've never gotten the job done. "Apache" has been recorded over and over again, but none even come close to Jorgens.

Indyrod

Re: Favorite period

Postby steven on Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:50 pm

Indyrod wrote:
steven wrote:weird pop stuff like Jorgen Ingmann and his Echoplex,

One of my all time favorite guitar singles is his version of "Apache".

That was the song I was thinking of, I've never heard anything else by Jorgen, I think he was more of a jazzer except that single. It still gives me goosebumps when I hear it.
steven
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby Gilesfan on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:28 am

I went with 1973 -- 1977 (KC power years, early punk, David Bowie, Led Zep, Steely Dan, etc.). I think that so many bands that were great were more developed and technology was becoming more advanced. For example, I think that by 1974 Emerson, Lake & Palmer were so much further than in 1972. But I could have easily voted for 1968 -- 1972 (KC early years, Led Zep, Jethro Tull, Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, etc.) being that so many bands were fresh then and that was when so much great music was the most popular too.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

PreviousNext

Return to Polls