free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - What's your favorite performance of Starless?

What's your favorite performance of Starless?

This is where you get your chance to make your feelings known in our ProjeKction Polls. Feel free to create a Poll on any subject you choose.

What's your favorite released performance of Starless?

Brescia (March 20, 1974) (DGM Live Download)
No votes
Heidelberg (March 29, 1974) (KCCC 29)
No votes
Mainz (March 30, 1974) (KCCC 15)
10%
Pforzheim (March 31, 1974) (DGM Live Download)
No votes
Pittsburgh (April 29, 1974) (TGD Disc 3)
2%
Asbury Park (June 28, 1974) (USA Bonus Tracks)
2%
Providence (June 30, 1974) (TGD Disc 1)
2%
Providence (June 30, 1974) (TGD Disc 1)
2%
The Album Version from the album "Red"
39%
Central Park (July 1, 1974) (KCCC 10)
39%
Another performance not listed, please specify
No votes

Total votes : 38

Postby vrooom on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:00 am

NICK wrote:It has caused some rather vindictive bile to be poured onto me on this site by Vrooom and Owen, but it don't bother me.

That's because you made some incredulous comment about Fripp's mellotron playing being better than his guitar playing, right? If so, I stand by my outburst of bile because you are a fool. Owen backs down too easily. He knows you are a fool too, but is too nice to admit it.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Owen on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:24 am

:?

Well, call me paranoid, but following Darren's post above I've just gone back AGAIN and checked all of NICK's posts and I cannot even find one exchange between us on the subject of mellotrons. The single "absurd" comment was in response to NICK's opinion of Jamie Muir.

So Nick, please point me in the direction of this vindictive bile. I don't particularly like the accusation to be honest.
The Point Moot one minute bass solos project is at http://pointmootsolo.bandcamp.com/
Moot-tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pointmoot
The perfect holiday destination: http://point-moot.blogspot.com
Musicommentary: http://mootmobile.blogspot.com
Owen
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:47 pm

Ohhhh, maybe I've got the wrong guy. The only bile I sprayed with regards to mellotrons was from some guy who claimed that Fripp's greatest contribution to music was his 'tron playing, which frankly made me balk.

And I'm surprised, Owen usually only picks on me (but then I deserve it). :D

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Dog_none on Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:49 pm

No, it was him. Here.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby Indyrod on Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:08 pm

NICK wrote:Hello Jt
No, I'm definately NOT a fan of "...their new stuff." As far as I'm concerned, the only half decent thing that Fripp has done SINCE 1974(!) has been "THRAK" with "B'Boom" a close 2nd. Everything else pales into virtual insignificance. Fripp was/is a bloody good guitarist and wrote some powerful stuff, but as far as I'm concerned, his primary asset was his use of the Mellotron. He used it as an instrument in its own right (rather than as a substitute for an orchestra) and he used it expertly - you only have to listen to the title track of "...Poseidon" and especially "Starless" on "Red" to realise the talent he surrendered when he stored his 6 (yes SIX) Mellotrons in his cellar at his home in Wiltshire in England. Once I've mastered HTML and found someone who can give me some cheap web-space, I'm going to do a King Crimson and Mellotron site that focuses on the overlap between the two. Watch ths space!

This is the actual post from the link Dog provided. After reading this, I have to agree to disagree that Fripp's primary asset to KC has been the Mellotron. Although I love the Mellotron and Fripp playing it, Fripp's primary AND main asset to KC or any other projekct with Fripp is his magnificent guitar with all the gadgets. To rate the Mellotron over the guitar with Fripp is frankly ridiculous. But to each their own, I'm not going to argue about it, but Fripp is known for his talent with the guitar as it should be. That's not meant to downplay his excellent Mellotron playing and anybody that loves the Mellotron, especially on "Starless". But I'm a "Starless" fanatic, and what drives it home for me is the repetive use of a couple of notes Fripp plays on guitar as everyone knows, and then the all hell breaks lose after that.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby jtmack on Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:48 pm

Nick, although doubt any would agree about Fripp key board banging being better. This is what we do disagree about things. So Darren flamed you and he's hammered almost every poster who's posts here. Part of the price of doing business around here. :wink: So keep posting what you think, just try not to be upset when people disagree with you.
Nick keep on posting :D
Last edited by jtmack on Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:07 pm

It's like saying: "The best thing about Salvador Dali's work is his moustache". (Mind you in some sort of surrealist context, that works). Fripp's mellotron work is hardly revolutionary, where his guitar playing in certain areas is.

I am happy to disagree with you, because in your heart you know I am right. And it is obvious I didn't do a good enough job at flaming you because you came back. :P

You have a choice: we can all hold hands and agree with each other about everything and generally slap each other on the back and coo into each other's eyes like love-sick prog-tarts...or we can be men about this and have the balls to actually disagree and be as nasty as we want to be in order to prove that we are passionate about our point and the music.

Or we could all do something much more interesting...like count the petals on a flower or look out of the window and admire the shapely buttocks of that young girl walking past...and the way her hips sway with youthful abandon...

But yeah, mellotrons suck and so do all those who carp on about how frigging wonderful they are.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Indyrod on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:03 am

that was one of your better posts Darren. I would almost nominate it for the Hall of Fame. you gotta enjoy all this love...
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Dog_none on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:58 am

Adrian's biggest contribution to KC is his drumming.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby steven on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:22 am

vrooom wrote:
But yeah, mellotrons suck and so do all those who carp on about how frigging wonderful they are.

Darren

I kinda used to think mellotrons and 69-74 era KC were inseparable until I heard the KCCC Live at Summit Studios, which is mellotron free, and it is friggin' GREAT! I do like the tron though, Starless and Sailor's Tale to name a couple just wouldn't be the same without it.
steven
ProjeKction Connoisseur

PreviousNext

Return to Polls