free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Which Is The Weakest Link?

Which Is The Weakest Link?

This is where you get your chance to make your feelings known in our ProjeKction Polls. Feel free to create a Poll on any subject you choose.

Which KC album is the weakest link?

Beat (1982)
39%
Three of a Perfect Pair (1984)
60%

Total votes : 23

Postby scorched earth on Thu May 10, 2007 9:43 pm

In regard to these two, I'll always go back to the way I felt when they first came out: I liked Beat, and was disappointed in TOAPP. Too much of the latter just feels like they could have done it better. I love Nuages but nothing else adds up to a completely satisfying whole. To me it feels like Robert is too distant, a passing cloud over the work, only fully there in Nuages, and that sounds like he's mourning the loss of once promising band.
scorched earth
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Guest on Sat May 12, 2007 6:46 am

I am curious as to why you chaps not like these two sets of material. They do seem to have several accessable of commercial type tunes.

On the other hand there is some really fine playing going on, on more than a few tunes on these discs.

Did you not like them (especially Beat) when they came out? Or do you feel they have not held up over time.

It seems difficult for tunes with vocals not to sound dated over time. Instrumental tunes seem to fare better. Tunes from Weather Report's first LP (circa 1970) sound as fresh today as way back when it was released. (even though the tunes are full of Rhodes Electric Piano). I think that some of the ProjeKct material will also sound great 20-30 years from now. Charlie Parker sax solos will sound great 100 years from now where as vocal tunes from that era are hard to listen to at least for me.

Postby Yorkshire Square on Sat May 12, 2007 7:57 pm

Without a shadow of a doubt TOAPP is the weakest KC album ever. This is an album lacking any sort of inspiration and featuring some of the most cringeworthy material played by Bob and the boys.

By contrast, Beat is my favourite studio album from the 80's and would be in my top 5 if not top 3 KC albums. I think Discipline is a more accomplished record and obviously heralded a bright new dawn, but I have always had a soft spot for Beat. By and large the lyrics are palatable. Two Hands stretches it a bit, but N&J&M and Neurotica are both very fine "songs". The brevity of the whole record is also a big plus, especially in these days of "fill the CD - never mind the quality, count the minutes". I appreciate the shortness is down to a lack of material but hey, every cloud has a silver lining.

Oh and the covers. Don't you just love that cute pink note fizzing away on a sea of blue. The squiggles on its successor just suck...
I tell you it's no fun
Being on Proje-e-ekshun
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby evktalo on Mon May 21, 2007 9:00 pm

Just yesterday I gave TOAPP a listen in a longest time.. and it actually sounded pretty good. I was surprised. Had to skip Man With An Open Heart though. Can't take that one. Don't like Dig Me either. But Model Man was splendid again. It's good, but not Crim as we know it. I just love the way it sssssounnnnddds though. Hmm.

--Eino
evktalo
ProjeKction Devotee

TOAPP

Postby steven on Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:32 pm

I voted TOAPP, also because Lizard wasn't an option. However, I don't hate either one, they're just not up to snuff as KC goes. I own and listen to both, I guess it's like when you have a loose tooth and you can't keep from playing with it, even though it's painful. And I LIKE Man with an Open Heart, it's probably my favorite on TOAPP.
steven
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Re: TOAPP

Postby JDV72 on Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:14 am

steven wrote:And I LIKE Man with an Open Heart, it's probably my favorite on TOAPP.

I like the Absent Lovers version with its funky intro.
No vote cast here. Too close to call an' I like 'em bofe.
JDV72
ProjeKction Regular

Postby Gilesfan on Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:23 am

Three Of A Perfect Pair It was almost over.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Previous

Return to Polls