free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Will you miss the Elephant Talk newsletter?

Will you miss the Elephant Talk newsletter?

This is where you get your chance to make your feelings known in our ProjeKction Polls. Feel free to create a Poll on any subject you choose.

Will you miss the Elephant Talk newsletter?

Yes - it was a great resource that taught me a lot
40%
No - it was old fashioned maaan, and I'm more into RSS feeds, podcasting and MySpace
56%
I don't know - what's an Elephant Talk?
4%

Total votes : 25

Postby vrooom on Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:42 pm

Yorkshire Square wrote:Wha...?.........................................

Wha???? :?

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby nisimoto on Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:18 am

To me, this vote is not to express whether I ACTUALLY miss ET newsletter or not, but to show whether I feel any respects to what it did to me.
So my answer is YES.
I cannot say "mom/dad, you're old-fashioned, I do not miss you anymore".
ET newsletter was with me and it gave me a lot.
nisimoto
ProjeKction Sensei

Postby jtmack on Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:54 am

I voted “ what’s an ET? ” Because I didn’t know ET even had a news letter. My interest in KC dates back to the seventies and not the internet age. In the mid 90’s KC was playing in Vegas I went to see them and that started my renewed interest after the 80’s era band disbanded. ET was the first KC site I ever went to mostly to see where gigs were. But as most of you know being a KC fan can be lonely, so I started hanging out here… :D
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:10 am

Indeed, it is a lonely, misunderstood life...

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Yorkshire Square on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:14 am

vrooom wrote:
Yorkshire Square wrote:Wha...?.........................................

Wha???? :?

Darren

Sorry, just struggling to keep my concentration there.

I only ever went to ET when somebody posted a link to it such as "Read all about what RF thought of John Wetton's Blue Cheese fetish" or "How to tune your guitar to the Five String New Standard Banjo Tuning". On the odd occasion that I read the Newsletter via the web link, it seemed rather too staid and reverential; to many college types etc.

All of the KC fora seem to be struggling at the moment, maybe due to the lack of musical interest. We have the odd burst here, but mostly it seems to be bobbling along right now. Hopefully RF will strap-on and rock out sometime soon and we can all give our enlightened opinions...
I tell you it's no fun
Being on Proje-e-ekshun
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby MiKcrobe on Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:47 pm

I never even subscribed to it in the first place, although I read many of the back issues. But I found it too difficult to sustain the disjunction of threads in my head to follow any one topic from issue to issue. It just wasn't worth it. So, no, I won't miss it.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby Dog_none on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:24 pm

ET the website is probably the best King Crimson resource on the web.

I didn't really see the point of the ET the newletter once the original DGM Guestbook & KCNN forums came about.

I'll miss it in the sense that Nisimoto describes. Similar to the way I miss the Double Duo. There's always a sense of "missing" when something that was once a mightly institution goes away. But in a practical sense, no, I won't miss it at all.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby The Crimson Fox on Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:14 am

I'll miss Elephant Talk. I used to read it on a regular basis but like its been said before there are better places to gather KC information nowadays. ProjeKction is a good example... It's a mine of Crimson tit bits. Hint: Don't you dare ever turn your back on us :lol:

I remember I used to subscribe to a magazine called Book of Saturday and they used to include transcripts from the on-line diaries from ET. That was about 10 years ago though.

I'll still look at it now and again because its got some great interviews etc in one handy place.

Goodbye Elephant Talk... You'll be missed!!! :cry: :cry: By me anyway :lol:
The Crimson Fox
ProjeKction Savant

Postby diderot on Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:28 am

I'll miss ET newsletter for the reasons described by nisimoto and Dog_none.

The first time I could look for information in the net (back in '95) I looked for Frank Zappa (who had died two years before) and I found so much information that I could read it for a year...

Years later, when I looked for King Crimson, ET was (is) the best place. DGM worked as a pr site, just the official information and there wasn't guestbook anymore. So, the subscription to ET newsletter was a big deal at the time. I almost got banned when I posted that Greg Lake was too fat in his last visit here with ELP, back in '97...

And thanks to ET that I (and maybe some of you) got Darren's post about FraKctured... It's the best place to get real time information about the band and associates.
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Dog_none on Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:38 am

diderot wrote:I almost got banned when I posted that Greg Lake was too fat in his last visit here with ELP, back in '97...

Grrrr.....censorship. 'tis the reason ProjeKction will always be a necessary evil in the KC universe.

Now, I don't think it's appropriate to take cheap shots at band members/associates. But pointing out that Greg Lake had doubled in weight since 1975 is a perfectly valid observation.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

PreviousNext

Return to Polls