free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Will you miss the Elephant Talk newsletter?

Will you miss the Elephant Talk newsletter?

This is where you get your chance to make your feelings known in our ProjeKction Polls. Feel free to create a Poll on any subject you choose.

Yes - it was a great resource that taught me a lot
40%
No - it was old fashioned maaan, and I'm more into RSS feeds, podcasting and MySpace
56%
I don't know - what's an Elephant Talk?
4%

Total votes : 25

Postby vrooom on Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:39 pm

So suddenly, in a flash of random inspiration, it hit me that the recent demise of the Elephant Talk newsletter could make a half-decent poll. In case you don't live, breathe, eat, sleep and shit King Crimson 24/7, there's a really great KC resource called Elephant Talk that used to have a newsletter section. This newsletter acted as a conduit for all manner of questions, trivia and news related to the band and alumni. However, it seems that the wizened hand of time has caught up with the plucky little newsletter and it has fallen out of fashion, soooooooooo:

A simple yes or no will not suffice. Oh no sirreee, for what we want are your misty-eyed recollections of the golden era of King Crimson chat from the Parliament of PachydermsTM. So get voting and get nostalgic or I'll come round your house and tread on your toys.
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby MarkSullivan on Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:58 pm

I'm just surprised it took them so long to discontinue the newsletter. It was cutting-edge technology when they started it, but it's been years since I read it regularly. It's so hard to have a conversation when there's so much lag time. It was a wonderful resource during the early years, though; as Fripp said, really the only resource on KC-related matters for a long time. And I'm glad they're keeping the site up. It's still a great resource for KC info of all sorts.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:28 pm

hell no I won't miss it. I never liked it that much to start. It's probably been three or four years since I even looked at.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Bruce Jensen on Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:27 pm

well that's a tough vote to cast, not because I still read it- I stopped years ago, rather because it was one of those sites that made getting on the web seem 'necessary' to me.
Bruce Jensen
ProjeKction Acolyte

Postby vrooom on Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:54 pm

Bruce Jensen wrote:well that's a tough vote to cast, not because I still read it- I stopped years ago, rather because it was one of those sites that made getting on the web seem 'necessary' to me.

Indeed. It is a real shame that ET didn't evolve from its earliest beginning and adopt a forum. When the original DGM GB shut up shop, I always thought that ET would take up the challenge and I kept expecting that forum to appear even after I condemned KC fans to years of misery with FraKctured&ProjeKction. Who knows? Maybe its webmaster might do that? I don't know. For that to happen, you'd need someone to take on a hands-on approach and to direct questions from the forum to the other parts of the site, for example. A hefty job. A hefty, nasty job. A hefty, nasty, thankless job.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Riverman on Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:44 pm

I'm not at all into RSS feeds, podcasting or Myspace, but I picked the 'no' option anyway. The time-lagged discussion really kept little interest in light of fora where we can post messages instantly.

Newsletter aside, the site is still a great resource for reviews & trivial info, so I'm glad that at least will stay.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby ChewChewGumChew on Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:46 pm

I probably hadn't visited there for over a year. I had forgotten it even existed till now. It was good when there wasn't much, then it wasn't much.
Dig me, but don't bury me.
ChewChewGumChew
ProjeKction Freak

Postby TheCrimsonChin on Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:01 pm

vrooom wrote:
Bruce Jensen wrote:well that's a tough vote to cast, not because I still read it- I stopped years ago, rather because it was one of those sites that made getting on the web seem 'necessary' to me.

Indeed. It is a real shame that ET didn't evolve from its earliest beginning and adopt a forum. When the original DGM GB shut up shop, I always thought that ET would take up the challenge and I kept expecting that forum to appear even after I condemned KC fans to years of misery with FraKctured&ProjeKction. Who knows? Maybe its webmaster might do that? I don't know. For that to happen, you'd need someone to take on a hands-on approach and to direct questions from the forum to the other parts of the site, for example. A hefty job. A hefty, nasty job. A hefty, nasty, thankless job.

Darren

Thanks Darren.

Now it isn't thankless.

Still hefty and nasty and I've got no cure for that. If you find one aside from closing up shop, let me know.

Edit ~ I voted no too. ET Web is a great resource but the newsletter never really held my interest. My attention span is too short.
If I had something important to say, why would I put it all the way down here?
TheCrimsonChin
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby Yorkshire Square on Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:23 pm

Wha...?.........................................
I tell you it's no fun
Being on Proje-e-ekshun
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby Indiscipine 90125 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:29 pm

Though I never really read much of it, I certainly will miss it, as it used to be the highlight of my week. Now, my life feels a bit emptier, as I have to actually go out there and find things to read on the weekends while I blast Red and make my neighbors want to kill me!

Admittedly, though, I'm kind of... balanced on the whole issue. Once technology came far enough for forums to exist, they should have switched over, but never did - a major disappointment, as it slowed down the discussions.

-I9
Indiscipine 90125
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Next

Return to Polls