free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - whats more important?

whats more important?

This is where you get your chance to make your feelings known in our ProjeKction Polls. Feel free to create a Poll on any subject you choose.

whats more important to you? the interaction between Kc members past and present and the music they created? or is Fripp and loving him more important?

Fripp is my god and he can do no wrong
18%
Kc needs Fripp but he's not the end all be all.
16%
The music is the most important thing when talking about KC in any of its guises
48%
Fuck the music I just want to piss people off
16%

Total votes : 37

whats more important?

Postby Krimzep on Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:52 pm

Recently I was talking to someone who used to be a Kc fan but that was back in the day so he's not clued in to the more recent incarnations. He told me that to him the music created was more important than whether or not Fripp was still in the band.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:36 pm

I voted KC NEEDS FRIPP, even though I also agree the music is the important thing. Even though I bitch about Fripp occasionally, KC is not KC without Fripp. I will never ever accept a King Crimson that does not include Fripp. I will accept alternate names or bands, like the 21stCSB, but KC is not KC without Fripp.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby The Crimson Avenger on Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:57 pm

Where the hell is the 'It's all good as long as John Wetton is on a different continent option'?
The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more fucking punishment in store. Stand it like a man. And give some back.
The Crimson Avenger
ProjeKction Guru

Postby Yorkshire Square on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:08 pm

The Crimson Avenger wrote:Where the hell is the 'It's all good as long as John Wetton is on a different continent option'?

Well at least he hasn't taken the fucking banjo up. So that's good.

KC need JW like JW needs KC. ie not at all. Paths have diverged and there recrossing seems very unlikely. Same goes for Billy Boy.

Now Bobby is a different kettle of fish. He spouts some terribly pretentious shit now and again, but when he says "for KC, Fripp is necessary but not sufficient" he hits the nail bang on the head. It wouldn't be KC without the old git at the helm.

The only problem is I'm not sure he wants to sail the old tub anymore...
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby MiKcrobe on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:16 pm

I agree with Indy. My KC must have Fripp or it's just another band. There is just something I've always liked about both Fripp's playing and his style of composing. While I enjoy most of Fripp's output--his solo works and contributions to other artist's projects, King Crimson is quite simply the creme de la creme.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby Krimzep on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:18 pm

Yorkshire Square wrote:
The Crimson Avenger wrote:Where the hell is the 'It's all good as long as John Wetton is on a different continent option'?

Well at least he hasn't taken the fucking banjo up. So that's good.

KC need JW like JW needs KC. ie not at all. Paths have diverged and there recrossing seems very unlikely. Same goes for Billy Boy.

Now Bobby is a different kettle of fish. He spouts some terribly pretentious shit now and again, but when he says "for KC, Fripp is necessary but not sufficient" he hits the nail bang on the head. It wouldn't be KC without the old git at the helm.

The only problem is I'm not sure he wants to sail the old tub anymore...

he didnt even want to captain the boat, it was thrust apon him by fate.

Fripp may be the last surving "member" but I think that the rest of the blokes who started the band and subsequently took over roles by those who left are just as important to Kc as fripp is.

Thats why the music is far more important than any one member of the band.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Yorkshire Square on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:26 pm

Krimzep wrote:he didnt even want to captain the boat, it was thrust apon him by fate.

Fripp may be the last surving "member" but I think that the rest of the blokes who started the band and subsequently took over roles by those who left are just as important to Kc as fripp is.

But that was 36 years ago! You and I were still picking bogies and wiping them on our dungarees. (You may still be, I don't know...)

Anyway whatever the circumstances of his "Captaincy", mutiny or election by abdication, for the past 35 years, Fripp has been the steer behind the band and his influence has become such that without him you would not really have KC.

If you are referring to one album and a few dozen gigs, that I very rarely listen to incidentally, then yes the music is more important than any of those five members.

But thereafter the story changes...
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby Krimzep on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:37 pm

Yorkshire Square wrote:
Krimzep wrote:he didnt even want to captain the boat, it was thrust apon him by fate.

But that was 36 years ago! You and I were still picking bogies and wiping them on our dungarees. (You may still be, I don't know...)

Anyway whatever the circumstances of his "Captaincy", mutiny or election by abdication, for the past 35 years, Fripp has been the steer behind the band and his influence has become such that without him you would not really have KC.

If you are referring to one album and a few dozen gigs, that I very rarely listen to incidentally, then yes the music is more important than any of those five members.

But thereafter the story changes...

I guess my point is that the musical legacy left behind is much bigger than the band itself no matter what incarnation you point to or whom ever is steering the boat.

you may say that the music wouldnt be there without fripp but I say that if no one wanted to hook up with him then there would be no Kc to speak of after the first breakup anyway. the music depends on the deck hands as much as it does the captain.

ps. I'm 40 years old and I still pick my nose from time to time :wink: :lol:
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Yorkshire Square on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:42 pm

Krimzep wrote:you may say that the music wouldnt be there without fripp but I say that if no one wanted to hook up with him then there would be no Kc to speak of after the first breakup anyway. the music depends on the deck hands as much as it does the captain.

I think (?) we agree. This is what "Necessary but not sufficient" means. It cannot be KC without Fripp, but Fripp alone cannot make KC.

Yes, the first incarnation certainly left a legacy. How much some of the subsequent members valued their inheritance is another matter...
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby Yorkshire Square on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:46 pm

I've stopped picking my nose at 39, but find it necessary to pick my bum now and again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Racist jokes. Look away now if you are easily offended (if so, what the hell are you doing here):

How do you confuse an Irishman. Show him three shovels and tell him to take his pick.

How do you confuse an Irishman (Pt II). Put him in a barrel and tell him to piss in the corner.
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Next

Return to Polls