free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - When will DGM Live post the P6 show for download?

When will DGM Live post the P6 show for download?

This is where you get your chance to make your feelings known in our ProjeKction Polls. Feel free to create a Poll on any subject you choose.

Later today or tomorrow (Nov. 28-29th).
4%
Later this week (Nov. 30 - Dec. 3) like Sid said it would.
4%
Probably next week (Dec. 4-10th), those DGM fellows are a busy lot.
23%
In time for the Christmas Season download rush (Dec 24th).
33%
Before the First of 2007! The Mysterious Torrentizer® has been acting up since you sods have all downloaded the free version of Berkeley '82.
No votes
Who cares! I downloaded the bootleg and it was horrible sounding stuff!
4%
Real soon I hope, I downloaded the bootleg which sounded like crap; I want to get the soundboard!
9%
Sometime in 2007 of course!
19%

Total votes : 21

Postby crimcinnaman on Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:17 pm

Sid Smith posted in the DGM Live forum last week that new P6 would be available sometime this week.

When will it actually be available?

This is more a question of faith in DGM Live's ability to keep a deadline and present a kCwality offering.
crimcinnaman
ProjeKction Champion

Postby vrooom on Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:20 pm

I voted "Sooner rather than later"...

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Dog_none on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:41 pm

I optimistically voted for "before Christmas".
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby MarkSullivan on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:15 pm

I went with "next week." I think they really are going to make an effort to get it out there, but they're not so hot with deadlines...
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:46 pm

There was no option for "I don't give a shit", so I didn't vote.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby The Crimson Avenger on Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:14 am

Indyrod wrote:There was no option for "I don't give a shit", so I didn't vote.

Oh, but there will be a Porcupine Tree postcard pdf included with every download...

NOW how much would you pay???
The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more fucking punishment in store. Stand it like a man. And give some back.
The Crimson Avenger
ProjeKction Guru

Postby Gilesfan on Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:07 am

Can't they just make good old CD's? :roll: I am not into all this downloading. It takes time and takes space up on the computer. And no artwork, liner notes, pictures, etc.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Krimzep on Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:12 pm

Gilesfan wrote:Can't they just make good old CD's? :roll: I am not into all this downloading. It takes time and takes space up on the computer. And no artwork, liner notes, pictures, etc.

Id rather have the Cd too but the instant satisfaction of downloading something is taking over.

today many people download their music right to an ipod so they bypass the cd outright and as long as their mp3 player works they dont need the disc.

we are throwbacks to the days when buying vinyl meant that a person felt they were getting something for their money. then they relegated us to accept CDs which to me are not as cool as having the vinyl, now that there is no need for either they want us to hop on the virtual bandwagon and carry all our tunes on an ipod which are way over priced.

can you look at an ipod and enjoy the feeling of having the Vinyl Album in your hands?

does the ipod give you the feeling that you now own something special?

can you look at your ipod and say , Look at my collection?

Physical representaions of music are falling by the wayside and soon everyone will have an invisable or virtual collection which just doesnt seem as satisfying to me.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Bruce Jensen on Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:50 pm

Krimzep wrote:
can you look at your ipod and say , Look at my collection?

I know it isn't what you mean by this comment- but I think it IS pretty cool that when I 'look at my ipod' I really do have most of my music collection there. It all fits in a package smaller than a cassette tape.

*I'm over 40- Had my share of LPs.
Bruce Jensen
ProjeKction Acolyte

Postby vrooom on Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:23 pm

This is precisely why the music industry is in freefall. Old farts raised on vinyl and CDs (and other tangible media) see part of their enjoyment of music as "having a collection" the same way as a philatelist collects stamps or a numismatist might collect coins. However, with non-tangible media becoming easily available and, more importantly, easily distributable the idea of having a physical collection has diminished and the psychological value of music also diminishes. Instead, the technology has value: "Hey look at my new 200 Gazillion Terabyte iVod multimedia player with inbuilt espresso maker!" and so the younger generation are collecting/upgrading the players rather than the music. The same cultural shift can already be seen in the constant marketing of the latest mobile phone editions - these are now designed/marketed on a collectibility level.

Also, with music not actually physically existing people tend to see music as being free. We live in a media environment where any album track or video is available at the touch of a button. The buzz of the latest releases has diminished because very often albums or singles are leaked or available to hear on MTV (or wherever) weeks before the actual release date. I remember in the mid-80s, rushing home from school and waiting for "The Tube" to show Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" video - the next day I ran around to my friend's house because he had a VHS recorder and we watched it again and again. Those days are gone because you have instant access to this stuff - so there's no need to own it, really.

The music industry will see in the next ten years that interest in owning tangible products will completely diminish. It will be regarded as old fashioned and quaint to have a record collection. Instead, music libraries will either be stored on home computers, small personal media players (PMPs) or be stored remotely via a library service and streamed into the home via a DSL connection - instant access to the library of your choice for a monthly fee, perhaps?

With tangible products gone, the music industry will be hard pressed getting the public to pay high prices for non-tangible products. Instead, the cost of downloads will have to fall and perhaps adopt a "micro payment system" (where buyers pay a penny to hear a track) otherwise illicit media sharing will increase, because consumers will pay for music, as long as it is the right price. Too high and they will skip past legitimate downloads and question the price of music - it is already happening. I'll mention the Allofmp3.com website as a good model for selling music. OK, it is of dubious nature, but the pricing tier system is very attractive. And the thing about selling music online is that it should be cheaper because you don't need to pay for distribution, for duplication, for storage, etc. I think for online music to succeed into the future and to make money, the Allofmp3 model is one that needs to be considered where the price of the download is in line with the quality of the recording you are buying.

Whille the RIAA and IFPI are quick to prosecute pirates and illegal file-swappers, both organisations are going to have to change their strategy if they are to deal with "darknets" - private networks that are being used to distribute illegal files. These networks are almost invisible and are going to be almost impossible to crack until they popularity hits the mainstream and law enforcement agencies can infiltrate them.

Meanwhile the movie industry is moving fast to attract consumers away from piracy. The whole shift towards High Definition (HD) movies is driven by a need to get consumers buying new product and to have formats that aren't easily pirated. Whether they succeed is another matter when the current DVD format is perfectly acceptable to most people. Movie and TV downloads are still in their early days, but will provide an early insight into whether or not non-tangible media distribution systems can be support by the casual consumer.

Of course, all this speculation could just be hot air. Maybe another format will arrive that will completely change the way we consume music? There could be a time where listening to music at home becomes completely unfashionable. If you think back to the beginning of the 20th century when the first 78s were being pressed and the only recording you could do was on a wax cylinder, it is mind boggling just how the way we listen to music has changed - the main developments on how we hear music happening between 1965 and 1995 where you see music first being put on stereo LPs, the popularity of FM radio in 1970s, then to CDs in 1982 and then the development of the MPEG codec in the early 1990s and in less than thirty years everything has changed.

However, luckily people still go out and pay to see live acts and this is one area where money will still be spent - and so we'll see ticket prices increase and venues increasing in size - though I suspect that the stadium rock phenomena of the late 1980s/early 1990s has kind of lost a lot of popularity and more musicians will tour more often, in smaller venues and to fewer people.

Whoops - I went on a bit of a rant there while drinking my coffee. Just some food for though for all of you to consider.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Next

Return to Polls