free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Should there be a 1974 trio line-up reunion?

Should there be a 1974 trio line-up reunion?

This is where you get your chance to make your feelings known in our ProjeKction Polls. Feel free to create a Poll on any subject you choose.

Should there be 1974 trio line-up reunion?

Yes! Absolutely! Good for a few albums.
23%
No! They need to move forward.
27%
Maybe.
4%
It could happen, but would not last very long.
6%
It would never, ever happen.
37%

Total votes : 43

Postby Hans on Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:32 pm

nisimoto wrote:There could be a reunion at Sushi-bar, but not on stage...

:lol: :lol: :lol: You're absolutely right! But I don't think Fripp and Bruford would survive the Sushi-bar without new traumas.
Hans

Postby vrooom on Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:39 pm

A good post Nick, but I can't understand why you like the 1974 improv band and not "The Power to Believe". I feel much of the spirit of the 1974 band is still in KC2003 and though no mellotrons were present, the same musical blueprint was being used, as opposed to the guitar gamelan sound of KC81-84.

And besides, upsetting the apple cart is what this place is all about... :D

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby NICK on Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:23 pm

OK, first things first. To answer points made by messers Krimzep and JTMack, the last KC gig I went to was in October 1973. That version of KC never toured the UK again. When I left college and entered full time work, I hardly went to any more gigs as I was becoming a bit disillusioned with them. I still am, to a slightly lesser degree. It took me a very long time to understand improvs - the actual music scratched into the grooves, and the mentality that makes the musicians WANT to make an improv. I find that improvs are very hit and miss, usually the latter. The best improvs I can recall is "Bartley Butsford" on the "Great Deceiver" set (3rd CD?) and "The Fright Watch" on "The Night Watch". I haven't heard many improvs from the later aggregations - "Two Sticks" on "B'Boom" comes to mind, which [b]TO ME[/b] is nothing special.
The KC of 1981 and beyond is, IMHO, radically different from the finishing point in 1974. I put this down to 2 things. Firstly, Fripp's stint at J.G. Bennett's Academy and, secondly, Fripp's stint in the US, which gave rise to his "Exposure" album.
After the mauling I've had, I've gone back to KC's later stuff to try and understand what the fuss is about, so be patient.
NICK
ProjeKction Acolyte

Postby MiKcrobe on Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:42 pm

Darren's right, Nick. If this place weren't called ProjeKction, it could well be called KCAppleCartKickers.net. So go ahead, kick away! Also, there are plenty of us who are fans of the early ('69-'74) era.

BTW, Nick, what is your favorite whisky?
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby vrooom on Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:32 pm

MiKcrobe wrote:BTW, Nick, what is your favorite whisky?

Stop wasting your time with this cissie, he's already run away and joined the other weaklings... ;-)

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Indyrod on Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:50 pm

vrooom wrote:
MiKcrobe wrote:BTW, Nick, what is your favorite whisky?

Stop wasting your time with this cissie, he's already run away and joined the other weaklings... ;-)

Darren

Huge gain for them, small loss for us... It usually works out that way.

How's your flower garden today? Oh very nice, the tulips are coming up nicely, it's so sweet of you to ask.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby vrooom on Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:06 pm

To be honest, anyone who thinks that RF's mellotron playing is his greatest contribution to music really shouldn't be hanging around here (or any prog rock or KC discussion site for that matter). It's like saying Peter Gabriel's strength is his tambourine playing... :roll:

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Gilesfan on Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 pm

vrooom wrote:To be honest, anyone who thinks that RF's mellotron playing is his greatest contribution to music really shouldn't be hanging around here (or any prog rock or KC discussion site for that matter). It's like saying Peter Gabriel's strength is his tambourine playing... :roll:

And there really is not much to playing the mellotron either is there? Usually just chords from what I can tell. In Fripp's case anyway, it is pretty much chords being held for a few measures.

I always found it interesting that the KING of the keyboards, Keith Emerson never used a mellotron. :o
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby evktalo on Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:17 pm

I'm under the impression Emerson *did* use mellotrons. Here's an intresting quote from Everything2. I don't know that guys sources though.

An interesting side note is that when Keith Emerson used to tour, he would travel with four Mellotrons: two to play, and two to be fixed before the next show.

--Eino
evktalo
ProjeKction Devotee

Postby Guest on Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:21 am

Owen wrote:
NICK wrote:I wouldn't have Muir, as he was pointless.

Sorry Nick, but that is one of the most absurd things anyone has ever said here.

O!

You shouldn't have said that. He'll email you privately now asking for an explanation... :D Darren

Absurd? hmmm, I thought I was king of absurd comments. Not to worry Nick. Just don't say, imply or infer that Brits don't *^#^ their +@#5*. You could be sorry. I almost was. You'll be branded a %&*$^ and be suspeneded from this kingdom for a short period of time like I was. Sort of like sitting in the penalty box.

PreviousNext

Return to Polls