free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Should there be a 1974 trio line-up reunion?

Should there be a 1974 trio line-up reunion?

This is where you get your chance to make your feelings known in our ProjeKction Polls. Feel free to create a Poll on any subject you choose.

Should there be 1974 trio line-up reunion?

Yes! Absolutely! Good for a few albums.
23%
No! They need to move forward.
27%
Maybe.
4%
It could happen, but would not last very long.
6%
It would never, ever happen.
37%

Total votes : 43

Postby Krimzep on Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:03 pm

vrooom wrote:Well I think you are wrong. BB was a pretty flat player in Yes and then KC happened and he opened up a heck of a lot. Was this down totally to Muir or the more creative environment? I don't know. 60/40 methinks.

Darren

all im sayin is that I believe that Bill was aware of different percussion styles like allsorts. the only reason he was flat with yes is because the music did'nt realy allow for that kind or chaotic percussion except on the fish where he only used glass bottles instead of a whole cage full of insane things that make noise. look at five percent for nothing sharp staccato drum beat thats all chopped up, or the opening for south side even HOTS has a lot of bills stop and go, I wouldnt say he was flat during those songs but lets face it YES was not an improv band they may have created from a wide pallet but they looked at it from a very narrow view.

I think that jamie showed bill that allsorts could be much more inclusive when playing improvs but is he the main reason for bills apparent talent for allsorts? I dont think so. I think with bill's zeel for drumming he was going to expand his horizons with or without jamie.

you ever see an allsorts performance?

I attended one back in the eighties. I watched a guy get on stage and play several different squeeky toys! it was rediculous but he actualy created a rhythm and the crowd went nuts when he was done. another guy played tin plates another rattles! it was a very eye opening and entertaining show.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby octopus92 on Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:11 pm

Fripp made guitar lines during his times with the Muir Quintet he never made before and will never made until some of the Projekct Shows.
It was, in my humble opinion, thanks to the energy and a spirit for the adventure and the unknown which are specific to this Quintet...(it disappeared from the US Tour in September 1973)
No doubt for me, this was this kind of spirit Muir was responsible for 75 percent...
Always waiting for more bootlegs from this fantastic period.... :D
octopus92
ProjeKction Connoisseur

You are You. This is me.

Postby NICK on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:28 pm

Bloody Hell, have I upset the apple cart.

Right, I bollocksed things up when I said that Jamie Muir was pointless. Judging by the verbal kicking that came my way, (some of it justified, some of it just plain vindictive) I'll modify that a bit.
BY HIMSELF, I thought Muir didn't contibute a lot MUSICALLY, but there again, I have a strange definition as to what PURE music is. I am basing my view about Muir SOLELY on the LTIA LP/CD plus a single gig. Visually, Jamie provided something to see. His enthusiasm at what he was doing was obvious, with his flailing chains and whirling hose-pipes, but to my ears/mind (delete as appropriate), it didn't & doesn't sound musical. I know that this is going to provoke violent disagreement, but that is the nature of the (human) beast.

The way I look at it is..."There is no such thing as good or bad music. There is music that you like or hate to varying degrees". Alternatively - "Opinion is opinion, but it's NOT an irrefutable fact". I like some, BUT NOT ALL, King Crimson music. My immediate problem is that I probably haven't got the right sort of intellect to adequately define WHY (or why not). It's a failing I have had since I was at school, and it still gives me trouble now, as you've seen.

Jamie Muir left his mark - that is beyond question. When he quit KC between the pair of March '73 gigs at the London Marquee, Bill Bruford felt that they should have cancelled the 2nd gig. The other 3 persuaded Bill not only to play the gig, but to additionally take on some of Jamie's role. Bill acquiesced, and the 2nd gig went ahead as scheduled. Some time later, Bruford admitted that this single act made him a better drummer. I am of the opinion that it didn't change his technique, but it mostly extended the RANGE of what he could hit. Later still, Fripp repeated the idea of 2 drummers with the 'Double Trio'. So my comment that "Muir was pointless" was clearly nonsense. So, Owen, it wasn't absurd, it was just plain wrong. OK?

I was raised on KC 69-74, but there were a few blemishes even there, like 'Groon', which I consider noise. When I became familiar with 'Discipline, Beat and 3oaPP', I came to the opinion that it didn't compare to 69-74 KC. It still doesn't. The 2nd half of '3 of a PP' is, TO MY EARS, virtually unlistenable. THRAK and "B'Boom" pick up a lot, but 'Construkction of Light' and 'Power to Believe' are pig-poo. Yes, I love the Mellotron, but using it was just one of Fripp's talents - I already said that, in as many words.

I like old KC - it's blatantly obvious that the majority of Projekctionists are pro-1981 and beyond. I have my (undefineable) reasons why I like 69-74. Please respect that. If someone could adequately explain why something like "Power to Believe" should be worthy of my appreciation, then I'd be grateful. I have always had a problem with understanding the Free-Form cum Avante-Garde field of music, which is how I interpret TPTB. Anyone who can appreciate that kind of stuff gets my unequivocable respect - moreso if they can explain it!
Credibility? Never an issue! I can't help what I like, and if it goes against the grain - so be it.
OK - I've said my bit. Now destroy me!
NICK
ProjeKction Acolyte

Re: You are You. This is me.

Postby Krimzep on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:59 pm

NICK wrote:Bloody Hell, have I upset the apple cart.

good bit!

I didnt like tcol from the moment I put it in my player. but I did see Kc in 2001 and I was blown away by what would become known as TPTBII try hunting down some of the late 2000 01 gigs and givem a try I think you'll enjoy the material much better.

I love all forms of KC but that doesnt mean I like eveything the wrote/played. I loath lizard. As for groon a very good version can be found on the summit release Fripp plays a nice solo on that one and the drum solo is pretty good too.

Its not tough to listen to improv all you need is imagination coupled with an attention span of more than just a few minutes and you're in! the next step is to open your mind and allow yourself to hopefully percieve all the little moments that happen between the musicians. when you find yourself asking things like "did you hear that !" or how the heck did they do that ! or you just get swept away by what you're hearing then you know you can appreciate improv.

its not necessarily about how deep your technical knowledge of music is, ( although it can help to know something about it) its about how you feel when you hear the music.

If It lifts you up and takes you away or makes you pay attention to it more than what you've just been doing you know you're listening to something special.
Last edited by Krimzep on Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby jtmack on Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:08 pm

Nick wrote: The 2nd half of '3 of a PP' is, TO MY EARS, virtually unlistenable. THRAK and "B'Boom" pick up a lot, but 'Construkction of Light' and 'Power to Believe' are pig-poo.

:lol: I love it, I disagree but I'm laughing. Nick have you ever seen any KC shows 2001 or later? I love the old stuff and the new stuff, I like the new stuff better KC is still growing or it was....Keep on posting!
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Riverman on Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:19 pm

Krimzep wrote:I think that jamie showed bill that allsorts could be much more inclusive when playing improvs but is he the main reason for bills apparent talent for allsorts? I dont think so. I think with bill's zeel for drumming he was going to expand his horizons with or without jamie.

Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for articulating it.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:46 am

NICK wrote:I was raised on KC 69-74, but there were a few blemishes even there, like 'Groon', which I consider noise.

Noise???? :shock:

You need to play "Earthbound" again. 8)
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Krimzep on Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:59 am

Indyrod wrote:
NICK wrote:I was raised on KC 69-74, but there were a few blemishes even there, like 'Groon', which I consider noise.

Noise???? :shock:

You need to play "Earthbound" again. 8)

something tells me he never got past the opening riff :wink:
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Dog_none on Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:04 am

NICK wrote:Bloody Hell, have I upset the apple cart.

Don't worry. This is just the first of several tests of faith. You did fine.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby nisimoto on Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:21 am

There could be a reunion at Sushi-bar, but not on stage...
nisimoto
ProjeKction Sensei

PreviousNext

Return to Polls