free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Should there be a 1974 trio line-up reunion?

Should there be a 1974 trio line-up reunion?

This is where you get your chance to make your feelings known in our ProjeKction Polls. Feel free to create a Poll on any subject you choose.

Should there be 1974 trio line-up reunion?

Yes! Absolutely! Good for a few albums.
23%
No! They need to move forward.
27%
Maybe.
4%
It could happen, but would not last very long.
6%
It would never, ever happen.
37%

Total votes : 43

Postby Dog_none on Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:27 pm

vrooom wrote:To be honest, anyone who thinks that RF's mellotron playing is his greatest contribution to music really shouldn't be hanging around here

The only real qualification for membership here is a high tolerance for idiotic behavior.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby vrooom on Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:00 pm

Dog_none wrote:The only real qualification for membership here is a high tolerance for idiotic behavior.

Ooooo, get her...

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Gilesfan on Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:43 am

evktalo wrote:I'm under the impression Emerson *did* use mellotrons. Here's an intresting quote from Everything2. I don't know that guys sources though.

An interesting side note is that when Keith Emerson used to tour, he would travel with four Mellotrons: two to play, and two to be fixed before the next show.

I could not open the link. I wonder if he is mixing up the mellotron with the Mini-Moog or even Hammond Organ. Emo used to bash the Hammond around quite a lot. But I can't imagine him having a total of four of them on the road at the same time with him. Never know though.

I don't recall any piece by The Nice, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Emerson, Lake & Powell , 3, or any solo albums or movie scores where he used a mellotron. If anybody knows of one, please let me know.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Guest on Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:11 pm

The link did open for me but I can't recall Emerson using a Melletron on any tune either. I have most of the Nice recordings and the ELP stuff and did manage to see them a few times and can't recall ever seeing one onstage. They sort of stick out even if they paint them some other colour than white.
I gave Keith a call but he wasn't home.
They do sound cool don't they. They definitely make the keyboard hall of fame. A Hammond, a Mini Moog, a Rhodes and a Melletron. The good old days.
One more thing. They sound really good with Palmer but they sound fantastico with Powell. I like my Rock with a steady tempo. Not up and down, slower than faster. For goodness sake Carl, pick a tempo and stick to it. Have a listen to Welcome Back my Friends live stuff. It's hiariously evident and funny and sad at the same time.

Emerson's Mellotron (note the lack of plural)

Postby NICK on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:31 pm

This is going to get calls of derision, accusations of being a trainspotter and probably some more bile from Darren...like I give a toss.
Emerson only had one Mellotron - an M400 to be irritatingly precise, but he loathed it, and instructed Greg Lake to play it. The tapes were loaded with sound effects from Tarkus and/or Trilogy for live work, which lasted exactly 2 gigs, when it caught fire! Emerson never wanted a Mellotron, so the story about having 4 trons is incorrect. A pity, cos I wanted it to be true. The ONLY recorded work of Emerson with a Mellotron that I'm aware of is on The Nice's "Diamond - Hard Blue Apples of the Moon", which was the b-side of "America". The source of this information is ...

http://www.planetmellotron.com

Nick
NICK
ProjeKction Acolyte

Re: Emerson's Mellotron (note the lack of plural)

Postby vrooom on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:33 pm

NICK wrote:...some more bile from Darren...like I give a toss.

Ahhh, but by typing that you subconsciously reveal that you DO give a toss... :D

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Gilesfan on Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:51 pm

laz wrote: One more thing. They sound really good with Palmer but they sound fantastico with Powell. I like my Rock with a steady tempo. Not up and down, slower than faster. For goodness sake Carl, pick a tempo and stick to it. Have a listen to Welcome Back my Friends live stuff. It's hiariously evident and funny and sad at the same time.

I agree about Cozy. He may not have been a technician, but he was great nontheless. I saw Emerson, Lake & Powell and they had a power that Emerson, Lake & Palmer never had live whenever I saw them. But Carl is Number 1 in my book. So what if he sped up from time to time? It was all that adrenaline and the pure energy of the music.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Re: Emerson's Mellotron (note the lack of plural)

Postby Guest on Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:37 am

NICK wrote:This is going to get calls of derision, accusations of being a trainspotter and probably some more bile from Darren...like I give a toss.
Emerson only had one Mellotron - an M400 to be irritatingly precise, but he loathed it, and instructed Greg Lake to play it. The tapes were loaded with sound effects from Tarkus and/or Trilogy for live work, which lasted exactly 2 gigs, when it caught fire! Emerson never wanted a Mellotron, so the story about having 4 trons is incorrect. A pity, cos I wanted it to be true. The ONLY recorded work of Emerson with a Mellotron that I'm aware of is on The Nice's "Diamond - Hard Blue Apples of the Moon", which was the b-side of "America". The source of this information is ... http://www.planetmellotron.com Nick

No call of derision from me. Good post I must say. Thre is always room for bits of info regarding music gear on Band forums. When I was growing up I could go from Penthouse to the Fender catalogue without skipping a beat. Girls and music gear. Ahh yes.
And I would also like to say thank you Nick for clearing something else up for me. I knew it was something vile and disgusting but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Now I know. It's bile. There is just so much of it from one person it was hard to identify. :D

Postby evktalo on Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:08 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, Nick and others! I don't know why I had that impression. Probably from the way I remember Trilogy sounds - well, I haven't listened to that in a while.

--Eino
evktalo
ProjeKction Devotee

Previous

Return to Polls