free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Should there be a 1974 trio line-up reunion?

Should there be a 1974 trio line-up reunion?

This is where you get your chance to make your feelings known in our ProjeKction Polls. Feel free to create a Poll on any subject you choose.

Should there be 1974 trio line-up reunion?

Yes! Absolutely! Good for a few albums.
23%
No! They need to move forward.
27%
Maybe.
4%
It could happen, but would not last very long.
6%
It would never, ever happen.
37%

Total votes : 43

Should there be a 1974 trio line-up reunion?

Postby Gilesfan on Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:05 am

Inspired by another thread, here is a new poll to liven things up a bit around here, but is also a serious thought.

Imagine the following:

Fripp sees the "success" of the Asia reunion and knows that as of now, King Crimson are doing nothing. Fripp rings up Wetton and asks him how the tour went, etc. Wetton enjoyed it, but knows there is little chance of doing another album with them immediately, if ever. Fripp figures, "why not call up Billy B. and see what he's doing in 2007?" David Cross has his own band going and who knows where Jamie Muir is?

The three get together for "a jam" and it is definitely happening. New music is coming out of them, much heavier than what they all have been doing; more on the level of "Level 5". Fripp brings in Soundscapes to add to the textures and colors. It is a heavier King Crimson and the "younger" generation can relate to it.

They decide to record an album under the name of King Crimson. They do a tour, playing new and old material. It does phenomenally well! Bruford does Earthworks on the side, Fripp does his Soundscapes and whatever else he chooses, and Wetton can make all his pop solo albums whenever he feels like it. King Crimson is without all the uncertainty and has a fresh "re"-start.

The question is:

Should there be a King Crimson 1974 trio line-up reunion?
Last edited by Gilesfan on Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Yorkshire Square on Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:40 am

Oh, and then Gilesy woke up to find he was dribbling onto his teddy. :lol:

Appealing as this scenario is, its likelyhood must be somewhere in the -ve percent area.

Whilst I'm sure JW and the Fripp are good buddies, I can't think of an occasion when they have worked together since 1974 (obviously, let me know I'm wrong, as is likely). Wetton has played Crimson classics throughout his post-Crim life, but has always popped them up or stripped them down in an unplugged sort of way. Other than Uriah Heep, I don't think he has done anything heavy since leaving Crimson. And obviously that worm in his ear will be whispering, "What if we're marginally successful and then Fripp pulls the plug just as it's starting to get big?"

Now I am sure that BB and Bobby ain't good buddies. I cannot in the life of me imagine them having a civil conversation, let alone playing together.

And Fripp is too deep in Ade's pocket these days. Other than soundscapes, everything RF does is with Belew...
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby gboland on Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:05 pm

Robert Fripp played on the following CD's by John Wetton

Battle Lines
Arkangel
Sinister
gboland
ProjeKction Groupie

Postby MarkSullivan on Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:26 pm

I went with "It could happen..." because I think it's possible, but highly unlikely. If the three of them wanted to work together again, they'd probably sound great.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby octopus92 on Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:28 pm

Wetton is far away the difficult lines of the Crimson Repertoire...
He's more in an AOR kind of music (see Asia but the Icon albums with his old pal Geoffrey Downes)...
There's no animosity between Wetton and Fripp but I suppose there is one between BB and Fripp...
Their ways are totally at the opposite IMHO...
And Fripp doesn't want to look back at his past : he hates it (see his recent diary...).
No way for a reunion I'm afraid... :o
octopus92
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby The Crimson Avenger on Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:37 pm

While I think that the possibility is EXTREMELY remote, as the question was phrased 'Should they' I said, Yes Absolutely'.

Even though I abhor John Wetton's vocals, he's a decent enough bassist and I love Billy B. Most importantly, the trio format really would require Fripp to Play Some Guitar, rather than farting around with his fake piano and soundscapes while Ade does all the heavy lifting.
The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more fucking punishment in store. Stand it like a man. And give some back.
The Crimson Avenger
ProjeKction Guru

Postby Indyrod on Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:58 pm

I voted "Yes! Absolutely! Good for a few albums". That would be a dream come true, and I know the odds are pretty much null and void, but we can still hope. :shock:
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby MiKcrobe on Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:00 pm

The Crimson Avenger wrote:Most importantly, the trio format really would require Fripp to Play Some Guitar, rather than farting around with his fake piano and soundscapes while Ade does all the heavy lifting.

Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby Gilesfan on Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:36 am

octopus92 wrote:And Fripp doesn't want to look back at his past : he hates it (see his recent diary...).
No way for a reunion I'm afraid... :o

Well, I am sure he has always felt that way in one way or another. If you had asked him in 1977-78 whether King Crimson would ever exist again he would have said in his inimitable way something along the lines of, "King Crimson has long since retired and shall never, ever be drawn out of retirement in any form whatsoever."

I think it is possible. I think it is possible, being that I have seen the "impossible" happen: e.g. Yes back together in 1983 until present (in one form or other!), King Crimson reunited in 1981 and again in 1994, 2005 Cream reunion and tour, Pink Floyd on stage together at Live 8! Never thought I would see these things, but we all did.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Dog_none on Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:58 pm

Gilesfan wrote:I think it is possible. I think it is possible, being that I have seen the "impossible" happen: e.g. Yes back together in 1983 until present (in one form or other!), King Crimson reunited in 1981 and again in 1994, 2005 Cream reunion and tour, Pink Floyd on stage together at Live 8! Never thought I would see these things, but we all did.

Gilesfan, ever the optimist...
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Next

Return to Polls