free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - The most underrated King Crimson tune

The most underrated King Crimson tune

This is where you get your chance to make your feelings known in our ProjeKction Polls. Feel free to create a Poll on any subject you choose.

What is the most underrated King Crimson tune?

Moonchild
15%
Drop In
1%
Get Thy Bearings
1%
Travel Weary Capricorn
No votes
Travel Bleary Capricorn
No votes
Indoor Games
3%
The Letters
3%
Trio
1%
Fallen Angel
17%
Providence
1%
The Sheltering Sky
7%
Heartbeat
No votes
Two Hands
3%
Model Man
3%
The ConstruKction of Light
21%
Happy With What You Have to Be Happy With
8%
Other (please specify)
8%

Total votes : 57

Postby MiKcrobe on Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:00 pm

There are some very good songs on the list that I would not view as underrated. I voted for Moonchild since it always gets trashed because of the protracted "improvisation" that follows the song proper. That should have been made a separate track in my view. The song part of Moonchild is a pure gem. Beautiful sounds, atmospheric and wistful. And although its brevity of one of its charms, it wouldn't have hurt it any to add another verse or two, making it just a bit longer, especially since they were scrounging for material to fill up the album (which resulted in 10 minutes of wandering around up their own arse, to paraphrase Gordon Haskell).
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby Sebastian Knight on Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:23 pm

MiKcrobe wrote:The song part of Moonchild is a pure gem. Beautiful sounds, atmospheric and wistful. And although its brevity of one of its charms, it wouldn't have hurt it any to add another verse or two, making it just a bit longer, especially since they were scrounging for material to fill up the album (which resulted in 10 minutes of wandering around up their own arse, to paraphrase Gordon Haskell).

I agree with all of that. I was very pleasantly surprised when I got "Epitaph" to learn that the '69 band was capable of really first-rate improvs, and found myself wishing that they had actually captured one on the studio album.
Sebastian Knight

Postby Chip Orr on Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:18 pm

I voted other and would select Waiting Man. I was prejudiced in this by reading TCA's post before casting my vote. Of those songs listed, I particularly like Fallen Angel.
Chip Orr
ProjeKction Freak

Postby octopus92 on Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:21 pm

HWWYHTBH go my vote : it should have been a hit for sure...
"Moon child" is a gem : when you know that Ian, Fripp & Giles were in different rooms during the improv, it has that kind of genius that only Crimso can do sometimes like BB restrain on "Trio" or Jamie's intro in LTIA 1.... :P
octopus92
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby Indyrod on Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:13 pm

Many of the songs on that list I don't consider underrated, but my vote goes for "Moonchild". Ever since I saw that movie that has the song, I've grown to like it even more.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

most underrated KC song

Postby steven on Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:49 pm

I voted for Fallen Angel. The other candidates do not seem to be underrated to me at all, they all stand on their own merits, and represent a wide array of KC variants. FA, on the other hand, has been openly berated numerous times in the past. And I could never see why, really. The lyrics are straighforward and do not need deciphering like other KC songs, but that doesn't make it a turd. Shoulda got airplay on mainstream radio when Red was new.
steven
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby Indyrod on Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:01 pm

I don't know HOW you can call "The Sheltering Sky", "The ConstruKction of Light", and "Happy With What You Have to Be Happy With" underrated. I'm STUNNED, I tell ya, STUNNED!!!!!!! :shock:
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

The Mincer

Postby crimson73 on Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:56 pm

I went for "Other(please specify)", since I think "The Mincer" is a great piece and everybody else seems to hate it. It's got this murmuring, menacing quality to it, great guitar work, and I even like the wacky ending.

Kjeld
crimson73
ProjeKction Acolyte

Postby crimcinnaman on Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:28 pm

Definitely Fallen Angel, and Darren's right, One More Red Nightmare should be up there too!
"My Child is an Honor Student
My President is a Moron"
crimcinnaman
ProjeKction Champion

Lark's Tongues In Aspic Part 3

Postby The Crimson Fox on Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:18 am

The most underated song by King Crimson is of course... Lark's Tongue's in Aspic Part 3.

I know you all hate it, but it is a fantastic piece of music.
The Crimson Fox
ProjeKction Savant

PreviousNext

Return to Polls