free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - what is the worst king crimson album?

what is the worst king crimson album?

This is where you get your chance to make your feelings known in our ProjeKction Polls. Feel free to create a Poll on any subject you choose.

What is worst king crimson album?

In The Court Of The Crimson King
1%
In The Wake of Poseidon
3%
Lizard
23%
Islands
20%
Larks' Tongues In Aspic
No votes
Starless And Bible Black
No votes
Red
1%
Discipline
No votes
Beat
18%
Three Of A Perfect Pair
23%
Thrak
4%
The Construcktion Of Light
4%

Total votes : 65

Re: My Worst King Crimson Album - Islands

Postby ChewChewGumChew on Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:04 am

vrooom wrote:
ChewChewGumChew wrote:(It's still better than Lizard :lol: )

No way. Lizard wins through purely on its "what the fuck?" value.

Darren

You win again, I surely can't argue with that.
Dig me, but don't bury me.
ChewChewGumChew
ProjeKction Freak

Postby MarkSullivan on Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:15 am

ChewChewGumChew wrote:
vrooom wrote:

Darren

You win again, I surely can't argue with that.

That's one way to look at it. I know when Lizard came out it was confusing, but still recongnizably a King Crimson album. It even had some of the classic LP structure, with "Lady..." filling the ballad slot. Islands had long stretches that just didn't sound like the same band at all! "Sailor's Tale" was the only real barn-burner, especially on first listen. I've declined to vote in this poll, and now that it's been resurrected, I find I still can't do it. Beat would form a three-way tie for me, but I like them all well enough that I just can't pick one as worst.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby ChewChewGumChew on Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:20 am

Look at it as "Least Played" and it's as easier poll.
Dig me, but don't bury me.
ChewChewGumChew
ProjeKction Freak

Postby Dog_none on Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:06 am

vrooom wrote:

Darren

Lizard is a masterpiece of weirdness. For me, it ranks with Crimson's best.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby Gilesfan on Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:15 am

The Crimson Fox wrote:
The main reason is because it always sounds too airy fairy for my liking. Most of the arrangements are poor and the production lacks any guts whatsoever.

The arrangements are okay, but the production is weak. The title track is so sad, melancholic and depressing that I can hardly handle it!

The Crimson Fox wrote:Formentera Lady - This track contains Boz Burrells most awful vocal with added soprano from Paulina Lucas.

Jakko Jakszyk sings it much better. Especially live on the Live in Japan DVD! In fact, 21st Century Schizoid Band did this song better than King Crimson ever could!

The Crimson Fox wrote:Song of the Gulls - an awful sounding orchestral arrangement adapted from a piece from the Giles, Giles & Fripp sessions.:.

Is this what was formerly "Drop In"? If so, I agree. "Drop In" from 1967 with Giles, Giles and Fripp and with King Crimson line in 1969 could never be outdone, and trying to do so was a mistake and futile.

The Crimson Fox wrote:
Boz sounds like Gary Glitter on Ladies Of The Road on some parts of the track... which aint a good thing especially nowadays :shock:.

He sounds to me more like an imitation of Paul McCartney. Guess that is a good thing nowadays. :lol:

The Crimson Fox wrote:
The 1971 early 1972 era crimson is my least favourite of all the incarnations..
Me too. I still say that Fripp was clutching at straws at this time, desperate to keep the band together.

The Crimson Fox wrote:I still haven’t brought myself to buy Ladies of the road – The Collectors Club special edition since it came out.. and probably never will.

I hear ya! I still have not listened enough to Earthbound or KCCC#2: Live in Jacksonville (lost in Katrina flood as part of the Japanese box set of KCCC: 1: Live at the Marquee, KCCC#3: Live in Bremen 1972. In other words, I still have tro get to grips with those before any more. But the versions of "21st Century Schizoid Man" might make it worth it.

vrooom wrote:While the live band is a revelation, it's an out-and-out rock and roll band and not necessarily a suitable vessel for the King, if you please.

Exactly!

It sounds like the other guys wanted to "jam" more and Fripp wanted to "explore" and "improvise", which is exactly what the absolutley brilliant 1972-74 line-up did.

I think Boz would probably agree to this, judging by his recent interview here.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:42 pm

Dog_none wrote:Lizard is a masterpiece of weirdness. For me, it ranks with Crimson's best.

I agree, and "Lizard" to me is KC's All-Star band with guests. I like the concept, and I truly enjoy the music. One of a kind and a real treasure in the KC discography. TOAPP just flat out stinks, along with Beat.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby The Crimson Avenger on Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:46 pm

Indyrod wrote:
Dog_none wrote:Lizard is a masterpiece of weirdness. For me, it ranks with Crimson's best.

I agree, and "Lizard" to me is KC's All-Star band with guests. I like the concept, and I truly enjoy the music. One of a kind and a real treasure in the KC discography. TOAPP just flat out stinks, along with Beat.

...and you call yourself a King Crimson fan... :roll:
The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more fucking punishment in store. Stand it like a man. And give some back.
The Crimson Avenger
ProjeKction Guru

Postby vrooom on Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:54 pm

The Crimson Avenger wrote:...and you call yourself a King Crimson fan... :roll:

Hmmm...

I am beginning to believe that none of us here are actually King Crimson fans. Maybe we should rebrand the site as something else?

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Indyrod on Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:54 pm

Sorry, but I just don't like Ade's pop songs, and that's basically what TOAPP and Beat are for the most part. IMO For being followups to "Discipline", the bar was raised very high, and those two albums brought it down for me. To be a true Crimhead, you have to love "Lizard". Just thought I would throw that in... :P
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Riverman on Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:32 pm

Indyrod wrote:Sorry, but I just don't like Ade's pop songs, and that's basically what TOAPP and Beat are for the most part.

Beat - 3 Belew pop tunes; 1 interlocking-guitar piece; 1 groove-based instrumental; 2 Crim-chaos freakout tunes; 1 improv.
3/8 = 37.5%

3PP - 3 Belew pop tunes; 1 interlocking-guitar piece; 1 Frippertronic piece; 1 improv; 1 abstract rambling chaotic piece; 1 groove-based instrumental; 1 composed instrumental.
3/9 = 33.3%

Huh.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

PreviousNext

Return to Polls