free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Pat Mastelotto as a drummer. Wut's, uh, the deal?

Pat Mastelotto as a drummer. Wut's, uh, the deal?

Welcome to the main discussion zone. Post all your general messages here. While you do not need to be a member to read this guestbook, membership is required for you to post messages here. Membership is FREE and no personal data is required.

Pat Mastelotto as a drummer. Wut's, uh, the deal?

Postby Ironclaw on Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:25 pm

Disclaimer:

I like each and every incarnation of King Crimson. But my fanatical worship is reserved only for the Original Lineup and the Bruford/Cross/Fripp/(Muir)/Wetton lineup.

Now, to the point: As much as I do, in fact, enjoy the "2ble-3o" and the "Construction of Power" lineups, I've never really gotten into Pat Mastelotto's drumming all that much. It's not that I think it isn't good. It's just that I have never noticed anything about it to really catch my attention. In fact of all the skin-beaters to ever wear the Crimson, Pat Mastelotto is the least interesting of them all for me. Actually, there are a couple of things about him that I really like a lot: He is from California (me too) and he liked and saw the B/C/F/W lineup as a young man and wrote about seeing them in San Francisco for "The Road to Red" box set booklet. Now that was really interesting to me!

So, what exactly do folks like about Pat Mastelotto's drumming? I'd like to know because I want to hear what you guys hear in it, too.
Ironclaw
ProjeKction Groupie

Re: Pat Mastelotto as a drummer. Wut's, uh, the deal?

Postby ChewChewGumChew on Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:28 am

He doesn't force himself into the music. He supports it.
Dig me, but don't bury me.
ChewChewGumChew
ProjeKction Freak

Postby MarkSullivan on Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:35 am

I'd say he's essential to the later KC music. If you listen to the ProjeKcts he was in, he provides far more than just beats. His loops and textures are a big part of the musical structure. He is definitely a fully contributing member of the band.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:57 am

I've been very satisfied with all the drummers that have graced KC. Pat is the only one I have seen live, and He amazed Me, and I like His personality and dedication on some very difficult music.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby jtmack on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:53 am

Pat the meter never over plays and his beats are groovy. Love him you'll never hear him playing over the band.
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Krimzep on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:45 pm

He was the perfect partner for Bill.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Return to Main Guestbook