free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - What Is Progressive Rock, to You?

What Is Progressive Rock, to You?

Welcome to the main discussion zone. Post all your general messages here. While you do not need to be a member to read this guestbook, membership is required for you to post messages here. Membership is FREE and no personal data is required.

Re: What Is Progressive Rock, to You?

Postby Ironclaw on Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:36 am

A couple of points in the video are good. "Progressive Rock" lasted about 10 years and therefore Neo-Prog may actually be a form of Regressive Rock.

I grew up during the 60s and 70s and we never called it "Prog" back in the day. The word "Prog" is less obvious in meaning and maybe it's called that now because the genre isn't really progressing much anymore.

It is true that "Progressive Rock" started in Britain, and it WAS predominantly a British thing. But what bothers me is Darren saying that the great Italian bands during those years like Banco and PFM weren't "really" Progressive Rock. I mean, saying that those Italian 70s bands weren't "Progressive" is as ridiculous to me as saying that The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, or The Who aren't "Rock" because they are British and Rock started in the USA!

At the time I considered Banco to be Progressive Rock on the exact same level as Yes, ELP, King Crimson, and Genesis in their heyday. ELP had PFM and Banco on their Manitcore Record label. But the Banco album I loved best was the pre-Manticore "Darwin". It would be on my list of The Top 10 Greatest Progressive Rock Albums Ever.
Ironclaw
ProjeKction Groupie

Postby jtmack on Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:40 am

Thanks for mentioning Banco I haven't heard of them before, first take interesting.
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Ironclaw on Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:21 am

jtmack:

I hope you like it. Thanks for giving them a try. It helps if you search under their full Italian name:

Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
Ironclaw
ProjeKction Groupie

Previous

Return to Main Guestbook