free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Lizard T-Shirt and Earthbound Debate

Lizard T-Shirt and Earthbound Debate

Welcome to the main discussion zone. Post all your general messages here. While you do not need to be a member to read this guestbook, membership is required for you to post messages here. Membership is FREE and no personal data is required.

Re: Lizard T-Shirt and Earthbound Debate

Postby ChewChewGumChew on Wed May 08, 2013 1:08 am

I have a couple different edits of that show (that came out years before the KCCC release). I haven't listened to it in YEARS, but I know it's different from the Club version. I will dig through "the vaults" and see what I have. Ok, honestly I know where it is, but I don't feel liked getting it out tonight.
Dig me, but don't bury me.
ChewChewGumChew
ProjeKction Freak

Postby Krimzep on Wed May 08, 2013 6:28 pm

ChewChewGumChew wrote:I have a couple different edits of that show (that came out years before the KCCC release). I haven't listened to it in YEARS, but I know it's different from the Club version. I will dig through "the vaults" and see what I have. Ok, honestly I know where it is, but I don't feel liked getting it out tonight.

That's ok take your time, and thanks for looking it up ! :D
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Ironclaw on Tue May 28, 2013 5:47 pm

Lizard T-shirt: would LOVE to have one. Ties in with celtic interlace of Discipline era. Also resembles the artwork of Pauline Baynes, the best illustrator of Tolkien and Lewis. Great stuff.

Earthbound debate: Earthbound is really cool. A relic. Used to own the vinyl. Now have just got the 30th anniv. ed. CD with mini-LP cardboard slipcover (bought at the incredible Recofan store in Shibuya, Tokyo. Hey, Japan is the last bastion of hard-copy diehards!) Anyway, the Islands line-up is awesome on the 40th anniv ed. DVD extras. Yeah! How I lament that peacemaking stint unfolding! And the 40th ed. proves well enough there was indeed a thread of continuity connecting all the 70s versions of Crim.

But what the fffff is this? Earthbound 21cSzM is the best live version? Huh?????

OK, Mel gets lowdown and dirty on that one, it's good, it's really good, and I don't give a hoot about sound quality, but the best live version ever?

I'd have to say....

No, no, no!

The original line-up at Chesterfield or at Plumpton!!!!!!!!!! Greg sounded the best without ANY distortion and with this incredible ascending grace-note thing on the end of every "schizoid ma-A-AN-NN". I mean, please don't listen to the original line-up with an anti-ELP filter in your brain!!!! I think an objective assessment would have to be that Greg was far and away the best vocalist Crim ever had!!! Yeah!!! But it's Crimso-Greg LIVE that's the real deal!!! (his performances on ITCOTCK and ITWOP are another thing entirely.)

Anyway, after that, I'd have to agree with THE FRIPP. There was one other 70s Crimso performance that registers "out of this world" and it's Bruford-Cross-Fripp-Wetton in their very last concert in Central Park New York. THE FRIPP's solo in 21cSzM melts your brain and dissolves your spinal cord producing multiple head rushes and near out-of-the-body experiences for those who listen with open minds (err, I mean empty minds after FRIPP is done with you because listening to it is something akin to having a lobotomy. Your brain will never be the same.)
Last edited by Ironclaw on Wed May 29, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ironclaw
ProjeKction Groupie

Postby Krimzep on Tue May 28, 2013 6:49 pm

ChewChewGumChew wrote:I have a couple different edits of that show (that came out years before the KCCC release). I haven't listened to it in YEARS, but I know it's different from the Club version. I will dig through "the vaults" and see what I have. Ok, honestly I know where it is, but I don't feel liked getting it out tonight.

So, what did you find? is it the same as the DGM release or is there another source for that show as I have partially remembered :D
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby diderot on Fri May 31, 2013 3:21 am

I don't have "Earthbound". Even with 30th and 40th anniversary editions I never got excited about buying it, maybe due the audio quality (but as a completist I will some day...), but I have a '96 KC edition - Schizoid Man / KC Collectors Edition No. 2 (now rare, I guess)-, that has five versions of 21cSzM, and among them on track 4, Live 1972 - Willmington, Delaware <= from Earthbound (deleted)

On track 5 there's Live 1974 - Asbury Park, NJ <= from USA II (Discipline release, Spring 1997), but I don't remember seeing this album (Asbury Park download was released in 2006). Anyone?

So, except for "Groon", I can assemble Earthbound from available recordings...
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Fri May 31, 2013 3:39 am

dude, you either have it or you don't... :wink:

what kind of completist are you now? :shock:
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby steven on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:00 pm

diderot wrote:On track 5 there's Live 1974 - Asbury Park, NJ <= from USA II (Discipline release, Spring 1997), but I don't remember seeing this album (Asbury Park download was released in 2006). Anyone?

USA II never came out to my knowledge, but the Asbury Park download is what was supposed to be on it, the unedited, complete concert that most of USA came from.
steven
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby steven on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:25 pm

From the same KC lineup on Earthbound, I find the version of "Sailor's Tale" from May 11, 1971 (KCCC 14) to be most excellent. I love Ian Wallace's drumming, he starts it off with completely different drumming than any other version, sort of an Afro-Cuban beat. Mel is in top form with some free jazz soloing.
steven
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby EruditeMan on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:29 pm

Just re-listened to the May 11, '71 Sailor's Tale. Excellent indeed! 15 minutes and outstanding playing. The initial drumming is very unique and cool, and the flute soloing in the middle is beautiful. I love how the hiss of ocean waves sound effects come in over that part
EruditeMan
ProjeKction Fan

Previous

Return to Main Guestbook