free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Hello and a review.

Hello and a review.

Welcome to the main discussion zone. Post all your general messages here. While you do not need to be a member to read this guestbook, membership is required for you to post messages here. Membership is FREE and no personal data is required.

Hello and a review.

Postby TomVos on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:59 pm

This is my first here, and as the old men say, aut neca aut necare, therefore I must 'floor y'all' with my earth-shattering first post. Well, I've been a KC fan since 1991, at 11 years old exactly, what with me being born in 1980 and sharing a birthday with Al Capone and Andy Kaufman, but none of that matters: what matters is the music in and of itself.

For years I've been seeing the development of crimso as something to be proud of, in all of its phases, even the clunkier ones where I kinda look like I ate a lemon at the prospect of listening to (is that you, Lizard?), some of which with friends and acquaintances, going through somber and sprightly in equal measure, 'stoner' periods and periods like now where I've just had enough and I'm fine where I stand, we've learned to even recognize what Bill will do next in the Pittsburgh '74 Starless or never quite know what to expect from Trey in Deception. Well, at least me and some other dude are together in this...where was I?

Well, when I was 13 an album befuddled me/scared me/made me headbang in equal measures. I didn't know what to do with it. Later on I've come to recognize that crimso works better in the sphere of the unexpected, i.e making shit up as they go. And it works! And it worked! I gave in to what yesterday was just released in many formats and have to say my life has been changed once again. To hear what Jamie does alone in Easy Money or to hear a trio rendition of LTIA Pt. II is just God-punched-your-face-and-you've-vomited-water-all over. (not to sound like Robert Plant, as I recognize now that my expression sounded too familiar for comfort, and well, I don't think he's into Pellegrino as I am) I feel happy in my sickness, I should concede you that.

The 5.1 content of the DVD/Bluray is to say at the least, eyegougingly stunning, and I don't even think Red has floored me as much as this particular short-lived five piece incarnation had. It is violent, lilting, confusing, hey I'm back in 1993! With my scratchy ATCO edition from my very own country (somewhere in the southern hemisphere) between a stereo as the people complain the music is horrible, the drummer is great and the incense is smelly!

Thuse I leave you now, having reviewed partially a document that (oh and the video is just what you expect it is. Like that. I giggle maliciously as I wait for any of you to stuff it in and...) will show those fuckers who's the boss.

(it's Jamie Muir)

(Ha!)
TomVos
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Re: Hello and a review.

Postby jtmack on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:51 pm

Welcome aboard and thanks for the review. JM is a real treat to watch and hear even still! Too bad his Crimson participation was short lived...
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:26 am

that was a fun review, thanks for the contribution. I'm hoping mine will come any day now, from Burning Shed. I preordered the 2cd/dvda option, the box was a bit much. I'll bet Darren bought the whole box, wanna bet? Darren (vrooom) is our host at this location on the Net, and we welcome you to this little corner of the WWW.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby TomVos on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:52 pm

Well I've got the box, and I didn't even mention anything past the bleeding dvd extras (some of which comprise cd 11) and the whole shebang. WELL, in due time, I'll post my impressions, starting with the Hull concert which is a wonder to behold (and to listen to!) but right now I'm too infatuated with that gig (a previous love of mine now cleaned up to almost squeaky clean levels) and to shed some light in the new mix (it's not better nor worse), the outtakes, the Keep that one, Nick; and the concerts are no surprise - other than what was a tad shitty sounding before is present in a new - less shitty light (except for Hull) it should be nothing new to you guys, but the whole thing comes across as extremely heavy shit. Extremely heavy shit.
TomVos
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby Indyrod on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:17 pm

doesn't the option I purchased, contain all the dvd live material? thought it did... :shock:
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Krimzep on Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:20 pm

Hearing this version makes me feel like I am hearing Lark's all over again for the first time. The mix is so perfect, You can hear every instrument in cyrstal clarity, The music on this record causes an emotional investment well before Lark's is even finished. Its the kind of feeling you get when reading a great book or watching a good movie. Truly one of the best records to come out of 73 now with the production benefits it deserves.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Return to Main Guestbook