free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Epitaph instrumental

Epitaph instrumental

Welcome to the main discussion zone. Post all your general messages here. While you do not need to be a member to read this guestbook, membership is required for you to post messages here. Membership is FREE and no personal data is required.

Epitaph instrumental

Postby kathy on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi,
I'm a King Crimson fan for years but new to this forum, so I hope this is the right place... I found a great instrumental version of Epitaph @ youtube and wonder what other King Crimson fanatics think about this. In my ears this is a great version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfYNMQHTzRU
What do you think?!?
Thanks and best regards,
Kathy.
kathy
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Re: Epitaph instrumental

Postby MarkSullivan on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:05 am

Really good. I especially liked the way the guitarist played the melody: reminded me of how Steve Hackett might play it. I thought the solos were overlong, but it held my attention all the way through.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:51 pm

Very nice cover Kathy, those guys seem to have their heart in the right place. And welcome to our Forum Kathy, nice to have you a new member. :D
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby jtmack on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:24 pm

I liked it too it was interestingly different. The guitar solo was good but did drag a bit still it was really good. Welcome Kathy
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Ironclaw on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:23 am

I was curious to see what this was, thought it might be about the backing track on the 40th anniversary edition. Happily, I was wrong!

And instead of a discussion about the greatest-thing-since-sliced-bread for a KC Karaoke singer like me, I found a rather good German fusion band with a heavy dose of psychedelic/metal in the mix. Those guys are doing with Epitaph what I think jazzers would be expected to do: using it as a vehicle for their own art. The bassist is their bandleader and he seems to have been restraining himself a bit on Epitaph, because when I dug a little deeper into their stuff on youtube I found this jazzfusion number with a virtuoso bass solo (with, I guess, MIDI on there, too) YEAH! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If4AkzSXkMoj (And there's a crazy trombone solo, too.)

For an example of how they treat material, check out their version of The Who's Behind Blue Eyes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C4PAoCyuSE That woman can REALLY play guitar!

On youtube someone posted that these people are "LOCAL GIANTS" (I guess in whatever German city that might be).
Ironclaw
ProjeKction Groupie

Return to Main Guestbook