free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Mahavishnu Orchestra and the influence on King Crimson

Mahavishnu Orchestra and the influence on King Crimson

Welcome to the main discussion zone. Post all your general messages here. While you do not need to be a member to read this guestbook, membership is required for you to post messages here. Membership is FREE and no personal data is required.

Mahavishnu Orchestra and the influence on King Crimson

Postby The Crimson Fox on Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:46 am

I watched a nice documentary on Mr George Martin a few weeks ago which prompted me to buy Apolcalypse by Mahavishnu Orchestra. I'd never heard any of their stuff before... I hadnt realised how much an influence this fusion album had on the Crimson Krew.

Anyway, as of late I've been listening to alot of Mahavishnu Orchestra on Youtube and am now begining to realise how much Fripp has ripped off this sound... Almost replicating it!!

I bought Inner Mounting Flame the other day too... Looking forward to receiving that one

I'm interested to hear what you guys think on the subject. These guys set the King Crimson template for late 1972 to 1974 without a doubt?
The Crimson Fox
ProjeKction Savant

Re: Mahavishnu Orchestra and the influence on King Crimson

Postby ghostjoshu on Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:44 pm

This has been well documented in the past. The album "Red" has a definite Mahavishnu influence, particularly Brufords drumming which he says was massively Cobham influenced. Fripp has always expressed his admiration for John McLaughlin as far back as the beginning of Crim when McLaughlin was playing with Miles Davis. Good pich up though :D
Fire
Walk with me
ghostjoshu
ProjeKction Savant

Postby spknoevl on Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:54 pm

'Inner Mounting Flame' now there's a recording that could use a serious remix and remaster. You should also pick up Birds of Fire and Between Nothingness and Eternity.

I recall an article from about 30 years ago where Fripp actually interviewed McLaughlin for a magazine. JM commented about the Maha influences on Discipline and RF said that Bill was heavily influenced by the band. Fripp also claimed that after he initially heard Inner Mounting Flame he stopped listening to the band because he was afraid he would be seduced by the sound.

I think while RF was influenced by JM to a certain degree, they also were drawing from many of the same sources: 20th century classical music, modern jazz and indian music.

Interestingly, King Crimson and the Mahavishnu Orchestra were the bridge that led me from prog rock to jazz; there were similiarities in the angular guitar parts. As much as I loved the intricacy of prog bands, I sometimes missed hearing solos and when I discovered the Mahavishnu Orchestra and then later, bands like Return to Forever and Weather Report, I found music with both sophisticated arrangements and great soloing.
spknoevl
ProjeKction Regular

Postby ghostjoshu on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:23 am

Yeh that interview is hilarious, especially Bob's style of journalism. I'm pretty sure you can find it in the interview archives on ET-Wiki. There are a lot of great interviews there spanning the entire history of Crim. (Not to take your attention away from this great site or nuthin!)
Fire
Walk with me
ghostjoshu
ProjeKction Savant

Postby Gilesfan on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:43 am

Yes indeed. No doubt. The Mahavishnu Orchestra was a big influence on 1972-74 King Crimson. Just look at the instrumentation. I had that McLaughlin interview by Fripp. It was in Musician Magazine in 1981 or 1982.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby spknoevl on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:36 pm

I think both bands were seeking a similiar musical concept, but with far different approaches. While MO were rock influenced jazz musicians playing music based around individual improvisations, KC were jazz influenced rock musicians playing music based around group improvisations.

I honestly didn't think many people would remember Musician magazine. It's a shame it went out of print; it was a far better read than many of the current music rags out there.
spknoevl
ProjeKction Regular

Postby nightwatch on Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:57 pm

I would concur that there seems to be some Mahavishnu,/McLaughlin influence on King Crimson which I detect in parts of 'Starless And Bible Black',certainly on 'Red' and heard live in concert as evidenced on 'USA'.

I had the good fortune to see both King Crimson and The Mahavishnu Orchestra in the early '70s,and these were some of the most musically satisfying and at times intense concert experiences I have ever had.

I would,however,point to John McLaughlin's pre-Mahavishnu Orchestra albums which contains elements not dissimilar to those present in the Wetton-Bruford King Crimson of this era.Indeed I recall a Melody Maker'Blind Date' in which members of this version of KC made approving comments whilst listening to a track from his 'Devotion' album.
nightwatch
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Return to Main Guestbook