free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - King Crimson in 5.1?

King Crimson in 5.1?

Welcome to the main discussion zone. Post all your general messages here. While you do not need to be a member to read this guestbook, membership is required for you to post messages here. Membership is FREE and no personal data is required.

King Crimson in 5.1?

Postby LightCurves on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:42 am

The KC back catalog may be about to be reissued in 5.1 surround sound - mixed by Steven Wilson!

http://bitstream.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2008/01/scoop-ptree-in.html

Meanwhile, as if that weren't news enough, Leff also tells me that he's now handling King Crimson and "working on getting the entire catalog reissued in 5.1," hopefully with mixes done by . . . Steven Wilson! Currently, Leff and Wilson are "waiting on Robert Fripp [who guested on PT's Fear of a Blank Planet and Nil Recurring] to hear Steven's work on some of the older KC stuff before he gives us the green light to proceed."
LightCurves
ProjeKction Regular

Re: King Crimson in 5.1?

Postby jtmack on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:04 pm

LightCurves wrote:The KC back catalog may be about to be reissued in 5.1 surround sound - mixed by Steven Wilson!

http://bitstream.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2008/01/scoop-ptree-in.html

Meanwhile, as if that weren't news enough, Leff also tells me that he's now handling King Crimson and "working on getting the entire catalog reissued in 5.1," hopefully with mixes done by . . . Steven Wilson! Currently, Leff and Wilson are "waiting on Robert Fripp [who guested on PT's Fear of a Blank Planet and Nil Recurring] to hear Steven's work on some of the older KC stuff before he gives us the green light to proceed."

Of course this is par for the course for Fripp to sell the same songs for the millionth time. :roll: Buy up lads you have money to burn, someone has to pay for Crafty Red house...
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:25 pm

:D

The question is whether KC's music has the breadth for a 5.1 remix? It's hardly cinematic or dynamic in any respect (maybe LTiA Part I would be good in 5.1). The band should actually be remixing everything in MONO a la "Level 5" and the first half of "Virtuous Circle" off the "Level 5" EP and selling to us at TWICE the PRICE. I'm stupid enough to fall for it.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby LightCurves on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:47 pm

Hey, maybe they´ll include bonus tracks like 40 second violin-improvs. Or their archived video stuff gets released on there. Make us buy the entire catalog instead of a single dvd. I´m all up for it. :roll:
LightCurves
ProjeKction Regular

Postby RYG on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:40 pm

I've got to say a big "let's have it" !!!!
No one is making us buy them but if it's available, at least it's a choice we can make.

I'm hoping that, like LightCurves is suggesting, they throw as much extra stuff on the 5.1 disk(s) as possible. For instance, all of these "Stormy Monday" MP3 tracks in a more dynamic CD format, some of the 1969 Wessex studio sessions for ITCotCK and perhaps some unheard-of outtakes.

They should do it like the latest Genesis releases, the whole original album in 5.1, + extra tracks, + live and MTV-type videos on a second DVD.

This is definitely the way to go. You don't HAVE to buy them.
My favorite movies (right now):
"Lost In Translation", "Mulholland Drive", "Pulp Fiction", "Sin City", "Buffalo '66", "Ghost World", "Apocolypse Now (Redux)", "Donnie Darko", "Raising Arizona", "Shawshank Redemption"
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby diderot on Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:59 pm

It's been prepared for the 40th Anniversary Ultimate Definitive Collector's Edition. :wink:
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:56 pm

RYG wrote:They should do it like the latest Genesis releases, the whole original album in 5.1, + extra tracks, + live and MTV-type videos on a second DVD.

I don't think that DGM has the wherewithal or the moolah to produce a quality product like the recent Genesis remasters. Product quality and innovation has been on the decline since 1999 at DGM, which is a shame when you think back to how revolutionary the Deja VROOOM DVD was at the time.

RYG wrote:You don't HAVE to buy them.

Oh but WE do. We are mindless slavering drones who acts solely at the behest of Herr Fripp.

"Buy more product, my lovelies," he intones in that Dorset burr and we all start reaching for the plastic. We are literally powerless to resist, no?

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Riverman on Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:00 am

Meh. The first KC remasters I'll have absolutely no interest in.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby RYG on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:47 pm

Does anybody know what "extras" will be on the next round of KC 5.1 releases (ITWoP, Islands & Beat)? I couldn't find any sites that have such info yet. If someone knows of a site that lists all the details please post the URL. As far as I heard these should be available in September (or, maybe by the end of the year at least). Thanks.
My favorite movies (right now):
"Lost In Translation", "Mulholland Drive", "Pulp Fiction", "Sin City", "Buffalo '66", "Ghost World", "Apocolypse Now (Redux)", "Donnie Darko", "Raising Arizona", "Shawshank Redemption"
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby diderot on Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:00 pm

I remember reading something about Beat on Fripp's diary. I'm not sure but there's an alternate version of Satori in Tangier.

I'm sure they will fill the DVD with videos that we have seen here or linked to youtube. They could put a whole show if they wanted...

On ItWoP, besides the single that was added in the last CD release, there may be alternate versions like the ones they put in ItCotCK.

Is there any live video, 8mm, whatever, with the Island band? I don't remember reading about it. Probably it'll be like Lizard (and ItWoP too): DVD-audio only.
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Next

Return to Main Guestbook