free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - New Release of Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains the Same

New Release of Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains the Same

Welcome to the main discussion zone. Post all your general messages here. While you do not need to be a member to read this guestbook, membership is required for you to post messages here. Membership is FREE and no personal data is required.

New Release of Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains the Same

Postby Indyrod on Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:08 pm

This is collector's edition, available now for preorder...

From Deep Discount

The best of Led Zeppelin's legendary 1973 appearances at Madison Square Garden. Interspersed throughout the concert footage are behind-the-scenes moments with the band. THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME is Led Zeppelin at Madison Square Garden in NYC concert footage colorfully enhanced by sequences which are supposed to reflect each band member's individual fantasies and hallucinations. Includes blistering live renditions of "Black Dog," "Dazed and Confused," "Stairway to Heaven," "Whole Lotta Love," "The Song Remains the Same," and "Rain Song" among others.

The best of Led Zeppelin's legendary 1973 appearances at Madison Square Garden. Interspersed throughout the concert footage are behind-the-scenes moments with the band.

Theatrical Release: October 1976.

Rest of CAST: Peter Grant (manager), Richard Cole (tour manager), Derek Skilton and Colin Rigdon.

Tracks:
"Black Dog"
"Rock and Roll"
"Since I've Been Loving You"
"No Quarter"
"The Song Remains the Same"
"Rain Song"
"Dazed and Confused"
"Stairway to Heaven"
"Moby Dick"
"Heart Breaker"
"Whole Lotta Love"
DVD Features:

2-Disc Set
Widescreen 1.85
Audio:
Dolby Surround 5.1 English
Dolby Surround Stereo 2.0 English
Subtitles - English, Spanish, French

Stars
Robert Plant: Singer/Led Zeppelin
Jimmy Page: Guitarist/Led Zeppelin
John Bonham: DRUMMER/LED ZEPPELIN
John Paul Jones: Led Zeppelin Guitarist

From DVDTOWN

Main feature:Release Nov 20, 2007
Video Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Anamorphic - Enhanced for Widescreen TVs.
Studio Warner Brothers
Year 1976
Genre Music, Concert, War
Special features:
2 never-before-released performances - Celebration Day (Cutting Copy)and Over the Hills and Far away
Plus Misty Mountain Hop and The Ocean
Vintage TV Footage: Led Zeppelin robbed during the '73 Concerts
Robert Plant BBC Interview and 1973 Tampa News Report
Soundtrack Remixed and Remastered in DTS 5.1 Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2 tracks stereo from the original master tracks
Radio Profile Spotlight by Cameron Crowe (1976)
Original Film Trailer

In Concert and Beyond

Rock's premier metalmen Led Zeppelin, whose blend of gutsy blues and scathing rock catapulted them into the music world's pantheon, take you on a spellbinding journey of song and imagination. This high-impact movie captures the group's legendary 1973 Madison Square Garden concert stand and uncorks a freewheeling mix of scenes showing group members at home and in elaborate fantasy settings.

Robert Plant's raw lead vocals, Jimmy Page's explosive riffery and the sonic-boom rhythm wall of bassist John Paul Jones and drummer John Bonham all swirl, clash and collide - on classic tunes like Stairway to Heaven, Dazed and Confused, Whole Lotta Love and many others. No one goes down heavier than Zep!

Songs:
Rock and Roll
The Song Remains the Same
The Rain Song
Dazed and Confused
No Quarter
Stairway to Heaven
Moby Dick
Whole Lotta Love
Black Dog
Heartbreaker

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Indyrod on Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:48 pm

Wonder why LZ never did play "D'yer Mak'er" live in concert? That's one of my favorite songs of theirs amongst many many, and very POP. That always bugged me why they never did play it.

Indyrod

Postby Gilesfan on Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:03 am

I don't think "Dy'er Maker" is a "live tune", though for Led Zeppelin any tune can be a live tune. I always wanted them to do "In The Light" and "Carouselambra" live which are two of my favorites by Led Zeppelin.

By the way Indy, how many times did you see them? When and where?
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby diderot on Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:53 pm

Yesterday I received my copy that was release here, the standard 2-DVD (the Collector's Edition isn't available and I don't believe it will be released).

I've read in hundreds of reviews that the performance of this concert was sub-par, but I grew up watching this movie and listening to its soundtrack as the only reference of Led Zeppelin live until the 2003 2-DVD release, so I love this movie.

Back to the DVD, I took my old copy (not so old) and compared it to the new one:
Audio - the new DTS mix is twice louder as the previous Dolby Digital version, but I don't know if it brings the same distortion (or loose details) as reported in that TimesOnLine article sent by Yorkie.

Video - It has the same widscreen aspect, but it seems that it was enhanced (the source would have a different format) as in the new release we got some lines from the top but looses some lines at the bottom...
It has a crisper image than the older release and the colors are more vivid as we would expect, but we don't see much difference in the concert segments. At Robert Plant's fantasy sequence it's almost a different movie as the color is much different in some scenes like in the shore (it's almost green compared to the new version), or the fireplace.

Extras - In most of times I think the extras included in the new releases are to seduce those who have the previous version. Although some of the extras were available in the 2003 DVD, it's good to have them in the same package.

In summary, it's a good improvement over the previous release, mainly on the audio. Maybe someday I'll get the HD/Blu-ray version.

Trivia - When this movie was released here in theater, back in '77/78, the censors cut out the mobster sequence (we were living in a military dictatorship - '64~'85), as they thought it wasn't suited for teens.
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:17 pm

My copy has been shipped, and I'm really looking forward to it, as all I have is the original VHS video release, which I have pretty well worn out. I'm really on a Led Zep kick for the past two weeks or so, when XM Radio started a 24/7 LZ channel. I don't listen to anything else, even my DANCE channel has taken second position. It's great to listen to ALL their music again, and remember how amazing they truly were, and still are today.

Indyrod

Postby Indyrod on Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:40 pm

I don't know where this came from, but I just listened to a cover of "Kashmir" by Roger Daltrey and Ann Wilson. Not sure what to think of it, I didn't know what the fuck was going on when it started, because usually XM LED, only plays Zeppelin music with Zeppelin musicians. It's certainly different, but what a great song, maybe my favorite Zep song.

HEY, we need a Poll of your favorite LZ song... ha, just kidding, I know I'm riding this about as far as I can around these parts. :D

Indyrod

Postby Riverman on Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:17 am

I've never liked "Kashmir" much, although I have to say the Dixie Dregs version is excellent.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Return to Main Guestbook