free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Music Questions

Music Questions

Welcome to the main discussion zone. Post all your general messages here. While you do not need to be a member to read this guestbook, membership is required for you to post messages here. Membership is FREE and no personal data is required.

Music Questions

Postby Indyrod on Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:03 pm

This song is killing me. The song I believe is from the seventies, and probably a one hit wonder band. The lyric RIDE RIDE RIDE is repeated with some excellent guitar riffs between each RIDE. I think "saturday night" appears in the lyric too.

Substituting DA for a single guitar riff, it would go like this in the chorus...

da dadadadadadada da dadadadada RIDE
da dadadadadadada da dadadadada RIDE

then more lyrics...

(repeat chorus)

note.. Basically a very catchy tune with an exellent guitar riff, and became a pretty big song. I believe it was the bands only hit. It's not obvious, believe me, I've searched for the song.

DON'T MAKE ME WHISTLE THIS ONE!!!!!! :twisted:
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby jtmack on Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:44 pm

Following the 1970 release of The 12 Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus, the great rock group Spirit split up. Minus the late great Randy California, John Locke and Ed Cassidy regrouped for Spirit’s underrated Feedback album, while the remaining members formed Jo Jo Gunne. Featuring Spirit members Jay Ferguson (vocals, keyboards) and Mark Andes (bass), Jo Jo Gunne took the classic Spirit sound in a convincing new direction with the release of their now classic, self-titled 1972 debut Jo Jo Gunne. With Ferguson and Andes guiding the group sound, that first Jo Jo Gunne album was an FM radio smash and a huge hit with Spirit fans. Also featuring Mark’s brother Matt Andes (slide guitar) and Curly Smith (drums), Jo Jo Gunne (minus Mark Andes) went on to follow up their fabled first album with the 1973 album Bite Down Hard. Both albums have now been united on a top-notch, two-on-one 21 track CD reissue on the Rhino Records Handmade label. Jo Jo Gunne went on to record two more albums for Asylum Records, and likewise Rhino Handmade has also done a great job with their 22 track two-fer CD of Jumpin’ The Gunne (1973) and Where’s The Show (1974). Both CDs feature excellent packaging, original album art, bonus tracks, extensive group history and telling recollections from Jay Ferguson. Jo Jo Gunne was a short lived rock phenomenon, yet both CDs go a long way to reviving their legacy and are no doubt welcome by fans of ‘70s rock and especially Spirit fans. http://www.rhinohandmade.com

TRACK LISTING

Run Run Run (2:33 )
Shake That Fat (3:44 )
Babylon (4:05 )
I Make Love (2:54 )
Barstow Blue Eyes (3:18 )
99 Days (3:20 )
Academy Award (4:58 )
Take It Easy (4:47 )
Flying Home (3:12 )
Sally Pine (3:08 )
Rhoda (ORIGINAL DEMO) (1:36 )
Rivers Rising (3:46 )
Ready Freddy (4:00 )
Roll Over Me (3:31 )
60 Minutes To Go (4:23)
Rock Around The Symbol (2:25 ) Broken Down Man (4:00 )
clip Special Situations (4:40 )
Take Me Down Easy (5:25 )
Wait A Lifetime (3:30 )
Rhoda (4:44 )

http://www.rhinohandmade.com/browse/ProductLink.lasso?Number=7722
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:36 pm

That's it JT, and it's also a frequently misheard lyric. Of course, RIDE is actually RUN. I knew you had it when I saw the band's name "Jo Jo Gunne". I have that LP somewhere in my collection, because I really loved that song. And "Spirit" is one of my favorite seventies rock bands. Thank you very much. :)

Indyrod

Postby vrooom on Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:03 pm

I'll always remember a drunken evening in the pub with a work underling and impressing him with my knowledge of Spirit. He mentioned the band and I said: "Ahhh yes, The 12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus..." He was impressed because no-one he had ever spoken to had heard of them, let alone the album title. The next round was his, bought out of admiration...those were the days.

We got very, very drunk... :D

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby jtmack on Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:27 pm

I seen them play in Long Beach in a hole in the wall.. Yes those were the days to be a jock with a promising jock career ahead. That's the same year I started making music. Speaking of that played new tune for music nerd son. Man I guess I won't be working with him before he pulls his head out of the area that the sun doesn't shine...Then I played just the notes and sang the vocals it was interesting. :roll:
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby jtmack on Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:04 am

Here's the full tune at U-tube, I couldn't get the other file to play..
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:59 am

That clip was working fine when I posted it, and it was a link on cduniverse for the album. They most likely restrict direct links like that, so I deleted that post. Thanks for the youtube link.

Indyrod

Postby MarkSullivan on Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:16 pm

I saw Spirit live twice, in Detroit. The first time was in a small venue, and I think only the first album had been released (maybe the second also, I'm not sure). I remember the drum kit had mismatched drums; they definitely gave off a "struggling new band" vibe, but they played great. The second time was after the release of Dr. Sardonicus (which I just about played the grooves off of at the time). It was a larger venue, they looked more like a successful band on the way up, and the performance was powerful. I've got a multidisc compilation that I still really love. I think they're very underrated, and their music has aged very well.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:39 pm

jt, I'm just curious how the hell you were able to figure out I was talking about Jo Jo Gunne? I had the wrong song name, and not much of a clue. Very impressive on your part, but I can't figure out how you knew the answer.

Also, if anybody else has these silly questions, please feel free to post them in this thread. We obviously have some very good music scholars here.

Indyrod

Postby Indyrod on Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:52 pm

I think I've opened up a can of worms for myself. Now I can't get "Spirit" off my mind, and I see they have a relatively new "BEST OF" all remastered. :roll:

Indyrod

Next

Return to Main Guestbook