free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - The Jerry Marotta Mystery

The Jerry Marotta Mystery

Welcome to the main discussion zone. Post all your general messages here. While you do not need to be a member to read this guestbook, membership is required for you to post messages here. Membership is FREE and no personal data is required.

The Jerry Marotta Mystery

Postby GrassySound on Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:52 pm

Perhaps this has been discussed before, but I remain unaware of what exactly happened with Jerry Marotta's proposed involvement in King Crimson. We know he drummed on Sylvian/Fripp's "The First Day", but Pat M. toured for it. Marotta was supposed to be the drummer for the next incarnation of Crimson (which became the Double Trio.) What's the real story behind Marotta and Crimson? Thanks in advance.
"Progress is not possible without deviation from the norm." - Frank Zappa
GrassySound
ProjeKction Fan

Postby Dog_none on Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:06 pm

That's a good question. I don't remember ever reading or hearing anything about what happened to cause Jerry's involvement to fall through.

Keep in mind that Fripp's original vision for the Double Trio included David Sylvian, not Adrian Belew. Maybe whatever happened was between Marotta & Sylvian or Marotta & Belew?

Does anyone know why he didn't drum with Fripp & Sylvian on their tour?

Or we could just sit here and speculate.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby vrooom on Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:33 pm

Dog_none wrote:Does anyone know why he didn't drum with Fripp & Sylvian on their tour?

My dim memory seems to think that he just wasn't available. The idea of Mike Giles auditioning for the gig seems far-fetched though...even though it happened.

I always remember going to the Albert Hall gig for Sylvian/Fripp and being disappointed when some bloke called Pete Makemineadouble was on the drums. I wonder what happened to him... :D

But I remember reading early reports in the music mags of that KC incarnation including Marotta and Levin and Belew. However, it was an awfully long time ago (1994) and I might be remembering it all wrong. When the VROOOM EP arrived, I was gobsmacked to read the liner notes and see the final configuration because I was completely unaware of the Double Trio format. It is hard to imagine, but in those days we didn't have the Internet and had to rely on music mags for our information, which was often scant.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Dog_none on Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:58 pm

Maybe Sylvian was never part of the "Double Trio" concept but he was definitely part of the plan at some point. I do believe he turned down the offer.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby evktalo on Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:26 pm

vrooom wrote:I always remember going to the Albert Hall gig for Sylvian/Fripp and being disappointed when some bloke called Pete Makemineadouble was on the drums. I wonder what happened to him... :D

Well what just happened to me was that I barely avoided spilling Coketm on the VDU.

--Eino
evktalo
ProjeKction Devotee

Postby diderot on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:28 pm

vrooom wrote:But I remember reading early reports in the music mags of that KC incarnation including Marotta and Levin and Belew. However, it was an awfully long time ago (1994) and I might be remembering it all wrong. When the VROOOM EP arrived, I was gobsmacked to read the liner notes and see the final configuration because I was completely unaware of the Double Trio format. It is hard to imagine, but in those days we didn't have the Internet and had to rely on music mags for our information, which was often scant.

I remember those days... There was a lot of speculation in the magazines (and I had to look for imported ones) and when you got the album it was a surprise as something was very different from what you've read.

Today, months before the proper release of an album, you find a demo version or a snipet of a song/track in the net; sometimes a video...

I don't know but maybe I'm stuck in the old way of how the albums were released and so. I like to know what the band/artist is doing, how things are developing but it takes much of the surprise.
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Gilesfan on Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:58 am

Jerry Marotta is a fine player and was perfect for the albums he did with Peter Gabriel. But I don't think he would have fit with King Crimson.

I always thought that Jerry and even more so his brother Rick, sounded like kind of like Steve Gadd clones, of which there were many back in the 70's and 80's. Fine players though, both of them.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Krimzep on Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:37 pm

I used to think that jerry wouldnt fit in with Kc but if Kc exists for the musicians to stretch out beyond their comfort zones then I guess any drummer should be able to acomplish at least one or to tracks with Kc where they would shine in ways they never did before.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Krimzep on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:22 am

How about this, instead of keeping the same line up or calling old members what if Fripp invited all new people to just get together and play?

set up some kind of guide lines and just make an album!. That would really Bring Kc back to the reason it exists.

or would that put you line up lovers off your muffins? :lol:
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Peter Puget on Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:22 am

We will be a 5 piece and i think you know
4 of us. In fact I'm sure you know the 5th man too (an incredible drummer
that i will be delighted to work with). I think you'll have to tune in
to Robert's diary over at the DGM site and await the official announcement.

http://www.musicstreetjournal.com/tunerinterview.htm
Peter Puget
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Next

Return to Main Guestbook