free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Eno on voices

Eno on voices

Welcome to the main discussion zone. Post all your general messages here. While you do not need to be a member to read this guestbook, membership is required for you to post messages here. Membership is FREE and no personal data is required.

Eno on voices

Postby Guest on Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:38 am

I know there are a few Eno fans on the board. I was bouncing around youtube today and came across Brian Eno talking about voices and a "machine" that can change the pitch of a human voice. He gets really technical though and half way through I was lost. He's like a freakin' genius or something.

Or is he talking about an Enventide Harmonizer that has been around since the 70s? Or, wait a minute; is he talking about Melodyne? That's not a machine, it's software. Well you would need a computer to use the software. Now that's a machine. Oh crap. Maybe he's talking about Antares Autotune. They make pitch correcting software. Oh crap again, they also make pitch correcting harware.

Check it out; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGB8M1Gh0Eo

Wow; enough of that, I think I'll head over to the Emperor's website and see what he's wearing today.

Postby Hans on Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:32 am

How old is this inteview? That kind of voice manipulation has been beaten to death over the last ten or so years.

I hate autotuners. :evil:

William Shatner & Henry Rollins on I Can't Get Behind That wrote:BILL: I can't get behind so-called singers that can't carry a tune, get paid for talking, how easy is that? Well, maybe I could get behind that!
ROLLINS: Well, I can't! If you have to fix it with a computer: quantized, pitch corrected, and overly inspected, then you can't do it, and I can't get behind that!
BILL: I--can't--get behind--a fat ass!
Hans

Postby Dog_none on Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:01 pm

This interview was about his 2005 "Another Day on Earth" album.

Yeah, talking about voice manipulation techology like it's groundbreaking stuff is a little over the top. However, in Eno's defense, I'm sure the technology available (machines, software, whatever) in 2005 was a hell of a lot more advanced and/or convenient than what was available 30, 15, even 5 years prior. Plus, it was a quick promotional interview and I don't think the purpose was to lecture us on the history of sound technology.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby vrooom on Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:10 pm

Dog_none wrote:I'm sure the technology available (machines, software, whatever) in 2005 was a hell of a lot more advanced and/or convenient than what was available 30, 15, even 5 years prior.

30 years ago...

Auto-tuners and harmonisers have been used in studios since about the mid-1980s. In terms of advancement, the only thing has changed is that there has been a drop in price and the fact that the hardware can now be replaced by a small software plugin for your audio recording software. And yes, Eno is being a wanker. He talks like that deliberately to impress the gullible and those who have no knowledge of audio recording. They call it smoke and mirrors, you know, and Eno is the biggest magician going. ;-)

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby MiKcrobe on Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:38 pm

vrooom wrote:And yes, Eno is being a wanker.

Are you sure it's Eno who's being the wanker here?
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby Dog_none on Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:38 pm

vrooom wrote:They call it smoke and mirrors, you know, and Eno is the biggest magician going. ;-)

Darren

Probably. But he still made one hell of an album.
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby vrooom on Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:10 pm

MiKcrobe wrote:

Well I already know that I am a wanker, a cunt, a cretin, a complete and utter bastard (feel free to add anymore at your leisure), so you can understand why I feel qualified to make the call. Eno is a trickster. It is what he does... He, like Fripp, is one of those folks who can state the bleeding obvious and have cretins throwing themselves at his feet expounding his genius. Sure, he is a clever bloke, but he ain't no frigging genius.

Dog_none wrote:Probably. But he still made one hell of an album.

Gee - I was just sayin'. How comes you lot are so bloody touchy today? Did you all completely fail to get off at Xmas because the person you desired noticed the pizza stains on your chin and the dried-up sputum on your T-shirt? :P

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby MiKcrobe on Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:32 pm

vrooom wrote:
MiKcrobe wrote:

Well I already know that I am a wanker, a cunt, a cretin, a complete and utter bastard (feel free to add anymore at your leisure),

I wasn't referring to you (after all, why should I state the bleeding obvious ;) )
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby Dog_none on Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:35 pm

vrooom wrote:Gee - I was just sayin'.

Me too. The original post was quite wankerous and I was just trying to bring some balance to the force. So Eno was being pretentious during an interview where he was trying to promote his new album. There's a shocker. Wow. Call the friggin New York Times.

vrooom wrote:How comes you lot are so bloody touchy today? Did you all completely fail to get off at Xmas because the person you desired noticed the pizza stains on your chin and the dried-up sputum on your T-shirt? :P

Close!

It was actually the pizza stains on my shirt and the dried-up sputum (or could that be something else?) on my chin.
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby Guest on Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:38 pm

vrooom wrote:
Well I already know that I am a wanker, a cunt, a cretin, a complete and utter bastard (feel free to add anymore at your leisure), so you can understand why I feel qualified to make the call.

A short, balding fat bastard with a Napoleonic complex.

When you said "feel free to add anymore at your leisure" did you mean like in my head or was I suppose to put it in a post? Forgive me if I got it wrong.

Next

Return to Main Guestbook