free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - no-man - all the blue changes (Compilation) (continued)

no-man - all the blue changes (Compilation) (continued)

Welcome to the main discussion zone. Post all your general messages here. While you do not need to be a member to read this guestbook, membership is required for you to post messages here. Membership is FREE and no personal data is required.

no-man - all the blue changes (Compilation) (continued)

Postby Indyrod on Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:53 pm

"Speak" is a recent reissue, and is much more ambient in nature, a little like "Together We're Strangers", which are not my favorites. Many tracks on "Speak" have been remixed and re-recorded in other albums. I like the trip hop sound of no-man the best, and "Speak" is before they caught onto that beat.

Here's an obvious location to check out bits and bytes of the whole no-man catalog.

http://www.no-man.co.uk/discography.htm

The thing about no-man, is no two albums sound alike, and sometimes, not even in the same genre. Albums like "Wild Opera" are mostly techno and trip hop, and even their first real album 'Loveblows & Lovecries - A Confession' is I believe pure trip hop, but many disagree with me, nevertheless, it's one of my favorite albums. On the other hand "Returning Jesus" could almost be called soul or jazz rock, and sounds nothing like the others. "Heaven's Taste" melts all these in a pounding beat based album, that I just love. 'Together We're Stranger' and "Speak" are pure soundscape albums, which you might like very much, but they are not to my taste. "Flowermouth" is definitely art rock, and maybe more progressive rock with a BIG sound that is a favorite among no-man fans. So I guess you need them all, or all that are still in release, because there is one constant among all their albums, and that is the phenomenal voice of Tim Bowness. He is my favorite male vocalist for several years now, and it's his voice that keeps the whole project together, as opposed to the different direction each album may take. Hope that helps.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Fred on Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:43 am

Just read this at http://www.dprp.net/news/

NO MAN: is currently preparing an official download store for an expected January 2007 launch date. The store will offer downloadable versions of the Together We're Stranger and Speak albums. No Man also plan to make available re-mastered versions of its early long out-of-print One Little Indian material, complete with b-sides, rarities and downloadable artwork. Several other potential downloads are also being considered, including the "Returning Jesus" demos that were recently released as the third disc of Tonefloat's vinyl edition of the album, and a similar collection of demos covering the "Wild Opera" album recordings.

2007 will also see the recording of a brand new No-Man album, and the release of a special 5.1 surround sound version of Together We're Stranger.

Fred

ps. and some Steve Wilson news on Bass Communion

STEVE WILSON: New's on Steve's project Bass Communion:
The CD/DVDA version of Bass Communion's Loss album is now available from Headphone Dust Mail Order. The two disc set contains the 40 minute piece in both stereo and 5.1 mixes, and is packaged in a beautiful thick card gatefold sleeve, with an additional 8 page booklet containing the images from the original vinyl release.

Steven Wilson says "For me, the album is an extension of the previous release, Ghosts on Magnetic Tape, which relates to Electronic Voice Phenomena, or the idea that the dead can still communicate with the living world through recorded media. In order to try to capture this feeling I wanted the music to leave a spectral, ghostly impression, and to have an organic decaying quality, like something trying to break through from another world. To this end my musical sources were mainly 78 rpm records, a vibraphone and an upright piano. No synths or electronics were used, only organic sources or instrumentation that has been around for at least the last century."

Following a limited edition vinyl release in January, the digital version of Loss consists of a 5.1 surround sound DVD-Audio disc (which also contains a higher resolution stereo version) and a standard stereo CD. The DVD-Audio disc is compatible with all DVD players, but will sound best in a player with DVD-A capabilities. And the CD of course can be played pretty much everywhere else
Fred
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Mark on Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:58 am

I'll need to pick up Speak. It's the only one I don't have that's available legally, and I like Together We're Stranger. Once I got into it actually, it became my favorite No-Man, though it did take awhile to get into it.
Mark
ProjeKction Groupie

Postby Indyrod on Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:22 pm

"Speak" is a little too mellow for me, but I still enjoy it. The older no-man is still my favorite. Great band, second only to PT in the Wilson world of wonder. Bowness is still my favorite vocalist right now. Extrodinary voice.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Return to Main Guestbook