free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - ProjeKction members' music projects

ProjeKction members' music projects

Welcome to the main discussion zone. Post all your general messages here. While you do not need to be a member to read this guestbook, membership is required for you to post messages here. Membership is FREE and no personal data is required.

Re: ProjeKction members' music projects

Postby EruditeMan on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:24 pm

I finished a song with some Crimson influences, most of it being played in 7/8 and 4/4 at the same time. What do you think?

https://soundcloud.com/chrisvervoort/petra
EruditeMan
ProjeKction Fan

Postby steven on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:30 am

EM....I like it a lot! Outstanding work, sir!
steven
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby Situationist on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:59 am

I'm a keyboardist, vocalist, composer, & lyricist from Philadelphia. My band is called The Minor Arcana. We're inspired equally by 70's prog and post-punk, less circusy than Cardiacs, more chopsy than This Heat. Internally we often discuss how much like (Peter Gabriel era) Genesis some of our stuff sounds, at other times how much like Lark's era Crimson it sounds. Since I compose all of the music as of now I can say that, especially for our newer material it's very inspired by the aforementioned bands, but also Scott Walker's more recent work, Berlin-era Bowie, and Television as well. The music does tend to run the gamut, but that's what's interesting to me anyway. I was trained classically for 15 years and am well versed in both Bach and late Romanticism/20th century music as a pianist. I also have done my fair share of jazz gigs over the years, but have a special fondness for—oddly enough—Dixie, hard bop, and free jazz, especially artists like Tim Berne & John Zorn. Here's our website: http://www.minor-arcana.com

At the moment, we in The Minor Arcana are running a pre-sale through Pledge Music in order to raise some funds for our 2nd record titled Days Between Stations. The pre-sale offers a variety of unique merchandise and experiences, and everything is limited and exclusive to people that pledge money to the Pledge Music (which you can locate here: http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/minorarcanarecord2. The very important thing that separates this from a Kickstarter is the high level of accountability. Your card is not charged unless and until we reach our goal; 25% of the money is withheld from us until both of the following occur: 1) we complete and upload a mastered version of the record & 2) all of the promised exclusives are confirmed as fulfilled. If we fail to do the above by a deadline set in consultation with Pledge Music, Pledge Music will refund your money (but that won't happen). The record is written, we've been gigging it for over a year on the East Coast of the US, we have a studio picked out (Turtle Studios in Philadelphia—http://www.turtlestudios.com), we've even saved/put up a little more than half of the recording budget ourselves. We are trying to raise the modest sum of $4,000 for mixing, to pay a string quintet, and for some overdub sessions. There are 7 (really closer to 6) days left in our campaign and if we are not 100% funded at the end of it, we get no money at all.

Lyrically, the record is about 2 dominant themes—one personal, the other political. Firstly, it's about the death of my ex-fiancee with whom I remained a very close friend and the subsequent suicide of her then current partner (with whom I was also friendly). She lived a troubled life (eating disorders, drug abuse, sexual assault) and ultimately the wear and tear on her body took her at the tender age of 28 and he could not handle the loss. All of this occurred in the midst of the Occupy Movement and the Arab Spring and led me to begin to think about the connection between this personal trauma and this political upheaval—people fighting for dignity, and liberty, and sanity in a world too cruel to comprehend and seemingly too complex to change. And yet these people fought valiantly, and I wanted to explore what they were fighting for and against, what it meant for all of us, what it might've meant for my departed friends and how what they suffered may have been tied in with our culture and capitalism.

The record is artistically and personally significant because the music is complex yet catchy, progressive but prescient, and the lyrics are something I am intensely proud of (you can see broad sides of the lyrics in the appropriately titled update). If you visit the site, you can hear demos of the songs from the album, polished recordings of songs we're leaving off, early incarnations of songs, and songs that contained kernels of what would become the album. They are free to listen to, mostly, even without pledging but there are some for pledgers only. There are also song ideas for the other band I work with, the Brooklyn based progressive-cabaret-punk band The World Inferno Friendship Society (http://www.worldinferno.com) with whom I've toured the US, UK, Europe, the Baltics, and Scandinavia fairly extensively the past 5 years.

As a huge King Crimson fan, I'm rather excited to share this work with fellow travelers and I hope you feel compelled or empathic enough to pledge some money (it's compatible with the UK and EU and elsewhere; I've already gotten a pledge from Germany) or, if nothing else, share the Pledge Music link (again: http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/minorarcanarecord2) with other like-minded folk who may be more able/inclined to part with some of their hard earned geld to fund a DIY, literate, progressive musical operation.

Thanks for your patience and consideration.

—Matthew

PS—If you're wondering, my 5 favorite Crimson records are:

1) Lark's Tongue in Aspic; 2) Discipline; 3) Starless & Bible Black; 4) Red; 5) either Beat or THRAK, I can't decide—I'm also a massive fan of Fripp's work with Bowie of course, but also his production on the 2nd Peter Gabriel record and Daryl Hall's Sacred Songs, though truth be told Exposure (either, especially the 1983 (?) version with Hall's vocals) is my favorite solo work. Belew's Lone Rhinoceros/Twang Bar King is also a favorite.
Situationist
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby MarkSullivan on Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:30 am

I just got a Ditto X2 Looper, so here's an old-school ambient guitar loop from last night:

http://t.co/043v1Ac6gV

It's a saved loop taken directly from the looper. I haven't hooked up a recording setup incorporating it yet, but I'm working on it.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Previous

Return to Main Guestbook